Historically Inspired Fantasy Cut and Thrust
So, I've gotten bit by the complex hilt bug…and grabbed an HT Fullered Bastard Sword blade to make a fun cut and thrust sword. I've been pouring over complex hilts, from the lat 15th century italian deals through the german complex hilted long swords up to early 17th century basket hilts. There's a lot of variety, but a few physical and visual themes that are fairly prevalent. If people can post interesting pictures of complex hilts or links to albums, that'd be swell. I came up with this design at work today, and don't love it, but don't hate it either. The hilt will need to be stretched in places, and cut-up paper bag doesn't always want to hold it's shape for the camera. I've never done anything like this, and am not trying to emulate any particular style or period--just making something visually interesting to cut and…well, thrust with. (See: fantasy)

Anyone have advice or critique? It turned out looking far more like a Saxon-style rapier than intended…and I need a new pommel shape. I'm thinking I'll lightly flute what I have by gentle twisting at red heat, so it'll look a but like one of those Russian 'onion' domes. Blade will be etched and possibly engraved, and I'll look at trying to do a wire 'maker's mark' inlay on one side.

Attachment: 185.75 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 227.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 233.28 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 206.76 KB
[ Download ]
That's a visually very interesting piece. Reminds me a bit of a schiavona.
I like it..........a lot. That will be a sweeeeeeet piece of sword when it's done. Keep us updated on the progress!....McM
Looks like some nice ideas. I'm not sure, though, why you would term it "fantasy". Sure, it isn't a faithful repro of a specific piece; but with the variety of what is known, I would think a term along the lines of "plausible" to maybe even "likely" for the coexistence of that combination of elements somewhere in the past. After all, what has been lost to history - the things we haven't seen, even in illustration - is likely to be vast, with surviving examples and illustrations just scratching the surface. My opinion, at least - your mileage may vary. ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: