Transitional Type X
Hello fellow forumites!
I was contacted by a customer who wanted a simple 10th century sword. After discussing it a bit further, he has chosen a quite funny (at least in my opinion) sword :) It is described in Ian Pierceīs Swords of the Viking Age, page 122-123. I say funny, because the pommel is ridiculously small for the blade and cross dimensions...

Well, here is my attempt.The blade is 78,4cms long, the grip 9,7cms. It weighs 1030g, and itīs blunt.

I do not think it was an attempt, the sword is a success.

I agree that it looks a little off with the small pommel but if that is the historical model, well there are much more bazzar looking swords then that.

Nice clean lines, all business and it looks like business will be good

Dave
Xa.9 looks kinda weird but my A&A reproduction handles great. :lol:
I love this sword!!! That said, I think the thickness of the grip towards the bottom helps to emphasize the tiny pommel. A thinner grip with straight sides instead of curved would have been better IMO. Again, I love this sword. The proportion of blade to guard works really well, and the slight downward curve in the guard is magic! I think the pommel is a very handsome size for this sword. The whole piece is really nice!
A thinner grip might make a big difference, but it actually looks great as is. A slightly curved cross and Brazil nut pommel....looks great, a cool combo not often seen.
Welllll - IS the pommel too small, or just VISUALLY small? I'm guessing you got a good POB out of this construct.... so all the WEIGHTS are likely just perfect :). It's funny, sometimes a visually "big" pommel, depending on shape, can be pretty weenie in the weight department :).
I agree with Tim; a thinner grip would work better on this sword. Otherwise, I think it can work.
I like it. I think the pommel COULD be a bit bigger, but the whole sword is very attractive. :D ............McM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: