Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > custom replica yataghan Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ronald Yendrek

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: custom replica yataghan         Reply with quote

custom Ottoman yataghan from France (Bernard Delor- Orient balde project)
ivory grip, silver fittings, damascus blade, with inscription in Arabic- approx: grant the owner of this sword victory, grant the family od his enemy deep sorrow

Attachment: 70.12 KB
Yatagan-600-04.jpg

Attachment: 66.61 KB
sword fitting.jpg

Attachment: 65.12 KB
scabbard top.jpg

Attachment: 44 KB
etched inscription.jpg

Attachment: 54.54 KB
scabbard tip.jpg

R.Yendrek
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More on the work and maker

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...e-Yataghan

http://www.orient-blades.com/index.php/en/orient-blades-project

Cheers

GC
Lewis Ballard

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ronald: That is a very nice piece! Are you the lucky owner, or simply one who appreciates yataghans? The mammoth ivory and silver fittings make for a stunning appearance; I particularly enjoy the "still life with books and yataghan" photo.

Glen: Since this is a (rare!) yataghan thread, could I ask you a couple of questions about the yataghan in your collection? Overall length, weight, blade profile?

Regards,

Lewis
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brilliant looking work.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lewis Ballard wrote:
Ronald: That is a very nice piece! Are you the lucky owner, or simply one who appreciates yataghans? The mammoth ivory and silver fittings make for a stunning appearance; I particularly enjoy the "still life with books and yataghan" photo.

Glen: Since this is a (rare!) yataghan thread, could I ask you a couple of questions about the yataghan in your collection? Overall length, weight, blade profile?

Regards,

Lewis

Hi Lewis

The cross section is concave, hollow ground with a low secondary bevel. Forgive a mix of metric and inches but just more than 7mm at the base of the blade spine, fairly linear in distal for most of the blade to 5mm about six inches back from the point. That last quarter of length then reduces to 1mm or so right at the point and 2mm an inch from the point. The thickness for most of the center in the hollow grind maintains 3mm or less the length of the blade until reducing at the point. Crucible steel but not patterned wootz.

The blade iis roughly 23 3/4" 606mm overall 28 3/4" or730 mm

My old spring scale measures it at 1lb 4 oz and the cog right at the Ali mark, 6 1/2" to the grip

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 9.43 KB
mew215b.jpg

Attachment: 55.58 KB
mew215e.jpg

Ronald Yendrek

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: follow up         Reply with quote

Gentlemen the maker Brian Delor in France can answer details on how it was created. Type in Orient Blades in search to find his website. Ran into financial mess near the end of the project, when everything crashed last yr. Fortunatley, didnt have to sell it. Shipping was a big cost too. Started at 6600 euro and with extras, I think we came out at 8800 euro and 800 euro to ship, and customs here got 260$ so over 10 thou in all. Only yataghan I have. Next project with him is a Kindjal, Shashka pair. I am a Psychiatrist, so have a little more money than most to create what I want, rathe than buying replicas.
R.Yendrek
Lewis Ballard

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen:

Many thanks for the statistics. Once more I am reminded of how little I am able to trust first impressions! My initial thought, when I first ran across images of the yataghan, was that the blade would run to being a heavy and brutish chopper, while those numbers sound like a much faster and more agile blade.

Ronald:

Once more, a wonderful piece, and I can only imagine a "Turkish delight" set with a kindjal and shashka to boot.

Regards,

Lewis
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every day I'm forced to add another sword to my list of "must have". This is such a sword. What perfect workmanship!
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Bernard Delor

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear friends,
I very lately discovered your comments. Thanks to Ronald for showing, and to all of you for appreciating !
As mentioned above, the real yatagan is a very light, mobile and flexible saber. There has been a lot of them made in the late XIX century years, which were only "tourist" artifacts, and sometimes quite far from the real usable blade geometry ! Also, there were some real genuine ones being for ceremony purpose, not for fighting. So the sizes and thicknesses might vary a lot from one piece to another.
Kind regards,
Bernard
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There can be a lot of diversity in blades, even on non-tourist/decorative ones, depending on exactly what one classifies as "yataghan". If one is willing to include karakulak as yataghans, then that adds a whole lot of heavy-bladed weapons.

Example of variety:
(a) A classic yataghan blade the length of a katana blade, with new grip, 400g (probably about 500g with original grip), photo attached.
(b) Karakulak, 10.5" blade, 475g.

(A karakulak is a Balkan knife/sword, like a yataghan, but with an integral bolster and heavy blade. See http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23504 for some discussion of them.)

Attachment: 56.42 KB
yataghan_s.jpg
400 gram yataghan

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > custom replica yataghan
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic