Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusader armor and clothing Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other details of this image aside, the cross on the surcoat looks better, more appropriate to what we see in other illustrations. To further reinforce my other theme about the unreliability of modern images, notice that the spurs are round rowel spurs. They should be 13th century style prick spurs, and not rowel spurs. The red cross, which was Phil's real purpose in showing this image, looks fine.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there evidence the Templars were wearing surcoats as early as the Third Crusade? I thought the dispensation to wear surcoats in war zones wasn't granted until 1240 -- 1248 for the Hospitallers.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Roberto E.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Is there evidence the Templars were wearing surcoats as early as the Third Crusade? I thought the dispensation to wear surcoats in war zones wasn't granted until 1240 -- 1248 for the Hospitallers.

Well here's a couple of manuscripts that seem to be accurate for the time of the third crusade.
all with surcoats.

Correct me if i'm missing something here.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure Mart. I think I had read from someone posting here on myArmoury that knights wore surcoats in the Third Crusade, but that may not have been correct. The images I've seen from the 1190s look much more like bliauts to me. From what you've indicated, it seems as though the bliaut worn under the mail, sans surcoat, is what should be worn if representing the Third Crusade.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roberto E. wrote:
Mart Shearer wrote:

Well here's a couple of manuscripts that seem to be accurate for the time of the third crusade.
all with surcoats.

Correct me if i'm missing something here.

Roberto,

Surcoats and bliauts are totally different. Bliauts are long garments, something like robes, that were commonly worn by aristocrats during the 12th, 13th, and early 14th centuries. Surcoats are an additional layer worn on top of mail armour. Of the various images I posted in the first page of this thread, all of which date circa 1190-1200 AD or so, only the knights in image from the Jungfrauenspiegel have surcoats. However, judging from the fact that they seem to carry the early, longish heater shields, and that they have an early form of great helm, their equipment could easily date to two or three decades after 1200 AD, the approximate date given for the manuscript. All of the other images clearly depict knights wearing mail as their topmost layer, with either a shorter or longer bliaut underneath.

Here's the image from the Jungfrauenspiegel again. Contrast it with all of the other images on page one of this thread.

For the Third Crusade, it looks to me that the mail armour should be the top most layer, with a bliaut underneath. Of course, since you want to portray the Templars, I would go with a shorter bliaut (with the fabric terminating around the knees) and perhaps made of wool, as Mart suggested. The reason I suggest a shorter bliaut is because longer ones would be associated with secular, non-monastic styles.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Found these...I don't read French but depicts a variety of crosses on surcoat and shield...

http://www.puystory.fr/archives/2011/05/06/15362619.html

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."

Last edited by Phil D. on Fri 10 Oct, 2014 4:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaaand one last Osprey...and 2 reference sites...

Lin Robinson posted the info below on another discussion.It may be helpful:

http://the-orb.net/encyclop/religion/monastic/comprule.html This is not what you are looking for but is a starting point. Amazon has the French text of The Rule in book form. Here is another site to review. http://www.templiers.org/regle1-eng.php

There were actually two "Rules", the original written in Latin which was translated into French and the French Rule which was apparently a work in progress right up until the time of the suppression and which has many, many more provisions than the Latin Rule.

What you are seeking is how your character should look and be armed. Edward Burman's excellent but seldom referred to book, The Templars - Knights of God contains some interesting information taken from the French Rule which is more likely to help you meet your goal. Burman does not discuss the placement of the cross or the banner and shield painting but does indicate that the cross was a later addition to the surcoat and that at first they wore plain white. The serjeants wore black or brown. Here is what Burman says:

Armor - Mail coif with helmet. Mail leggings and protection for the feet and shoulders. While not mentioned I think we can assume a mail hauberk. A triangular shield with curved sides.

Weapons - Broad sword, lance, Turkish mace , three daggers - one on the belt, one pocket knife and one described as a very short knife with a long blade. This probably refers to the proportions of hilt and blade.

Other - A maximum of three horses unless the Master allows a fourth. One squire.

Burman does not provide the complete Rule. Your best bet for that is probably Amazon. com.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Osprey seem to be the most accurate modern art.
Descanse En Paz
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D.,

Those latest wall paintings are also from the Templar chapel at Cressac. Again, these are generally dated to c. 1200 and might be post-Third Crusade, and we know what a difference a decade or two can make. Judging from the good appearance of these images, I suspect they are among those which have been restored based upon the watercolors made by Eugène Sadoux in 1872. How accurate Mssr. Sadoux's illustrations were to the originals brings in another possible element of error.

Some of these figures are thought to be Saracens, while others might be non-Templar Crusaders. Even which battle is being depicted is in dispute.

http://crusaderimagery.com/france/cressac/

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Roberto E.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So out of curiosity, I looked for the book where these pictures come from.
The book itself seems to be very well based.
With a dense bibliography and alot of the manuscripts that you guys have shown me included.
They got somethings right like the coif and mitons being integrated into their armor.

They seem to be based on alot of research.

HOWEVER! I know you guys are WAY more experienced than I am at this.
So there is a big chance that i might be wrong on this.

It includes both primary and secondary sources in the biblio

Just wanted to put this out there to see if these images are truly not helpful in our search.

Also, I wanted to thank everybody again for the amount of time put into my topic.
and apologize for my ignorance in some aspects.
thanks for the patience and the help!
Roberto E.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgot to mention

Speaking about Osprey book by Helen Nicholson ^
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roberto,

When I wrote that you should not trust modern illustrations, part of what I was thinking of specifically were the modern illustrations in the Osprey series. ;-)
Roberto E.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Roberto,

When I wrote that you should not trust modern illustrations, part of what I was thinking of specifically were the modern illustrations in the Osprey series. ;-)

Oh okay,
I'm assuming this set of pictures of these books is extremely inaccurate?
Roberto E.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Roberto,

so around what time was the Surcoat a common thing?
I'm a bit confused, but it seems as though the consensus is post third crusade.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This Thread covers that question. There is some disagreement, but most think it became common sometime in the 1200's. There is a common idea that the surcoat started as a way to keep mail worn by Crusaders in the Levant from overheating, but it's not necessarily true.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:

Yep. Any illustration allegedly showing a Templar wearing a surcoat before 1240 has either been misdated or isn't depicting a Templar. Before this date they wore regular Cistercian monks robes over their mail.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roberto E. wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:
Roberto,

So around what time was the Surcoat a common thing?
I'm a bit confused, but it seems as though the consensus is post third crusade.

They start being worn in the late 12th century and become common in the 13th.

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roberto E. wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:
Roberto,

Oh okay,
I'm assuming this set of pictures of these books is extremely inaccurate?

Not, not extremely inaccurate. Partially inaccurate. However, in many ways, partially inaccurate is worse, because then the task becomes sorting out "What parts did they get right, and what parts did they get wrong?" If you know that parts of an image are accurate, then you might be seduced into believing that you can trust the image. The double danger is that you think "Since this is a modern image, it's a lot easier for me to interpret it than a medieval one, and I'd rather deal with something simpler and easier". The end result is that you trust the image too much, and because you don't know what's right and what's not right, you'll end up with a kit that's not really historically accurate.

Imagine, for example, if a reenactor from the year 2050 wanted to re-enact a person from 1910. The person decides he wants a "kit" that will include formal wear and accessories. So he goes and buys a watch. However, the watch has a digital display, rather than being an analog watch. In addition, the reenactor has a suit tailored in a style he thinks is appropriate to 1910. However, the suit he has made tapers near the waist area, making it more form fitting. While the suit looks good, the reenactor hasn't realized that really tapered, form fitting suits are more appropriate for post-1950s, when the style was developed. Further, he buys a hat made approximately in the right shape for 1910, but the hat is made using a fabric that did not exist at that time.

So has the reenactor got it wrong? Not entirely. The problem, however, isn't so much that he's completely wrong, but rather, he's made a series of small mistakes which have made his kit considerably less accurate than it could be. The same goes for building a Templar kit using Osprey images or other images. What matters is, do you want to get it really right- or not?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

Dan,

Do you know of any examples in period art of surcoats that are unambiguously late 12th century and not also possibly early 13th century?
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

Dan,

Do you know of any examples in period art of surcoats that are unambiguously late 12th century and not also possibly early 13th century?

Nope. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusader armor and clothing
Page 6 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: