Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ben Coomer wrote:
Any thoughts on your next one, Roberto?

Something in line with your Templar persona? Or something later?

Well It seems im going to pursue this crusader thing for a while haha.
My next hopeful addition will be the Albion Templar
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...lar-xa.htm

Or maybe the
Hospitaller

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ler-xa.htm

I am heavily fascinated by the third crusade and the relationship between The lionheart and Saladin, So maybe ill try to find something related to Richard later on.
Roberto..........I still strongly suggest the H/T Norman as a thought. She ain't real pretty but she sho' can dance. :D ..McM
Roberto E. wrote:

I am heavily fascinated by the third crusade and the relationship between The lionheart and Saladin, So maybe ill try to find something related to Richard later on.

FWIW, blade types at the end of the 12th century -

Type X's and Xa's still around, but on the way out. Type XI out of fashion, but probably still around.

Type XII's just coming in.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Roberto E. wrote:

Type X's and Xa's still around, but on the way out. Type XI out of fashion, but probably still around.

I dont know what all of this means...
Explain please hahaha sorry
Roberto E. wrote:

Type X (and subtype Xa), XI and XII are all different types of sword as categorized by the Oakeshott typology, which goes up to XXII.

You can read more about Type X,Type XI, and Type XII here on myArmoury.

Roger is telling you which types/styles of sword were in use at the end of the 12th century.
Roberto E. wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
Roberto E. wrote:

Ah, look here and read the whole two pages of the article about the Oakeshott typology that we tend to use a lot, and probably assume erroneously that everyone is up to speed on it, but may be a complete mystery to someone new to swords and collecting.

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html

Hope this helps clearing up the " lost in insider jargon feeling ". :D :cool:
Okay thank you that makes alot more sense now.
My apologies for not explaining the Oakeshott Type system. One thing that you should remember about it -- it's a guide and not set in cement - There are plenty of swords that fall in the cracks and don't run true to the Types.

By the way, the sword you're getting from Albion is a Type XII, and Richard I could very well have had one much like it.
Roger Hooper wrote:
My apologies for not explaining the Oakeshott Type system. One thing that you should remember about it -- it's a guide and not set in cement - There are plenty of swords that fall in the cracks and don't run true to the Types.

By the way, the sword you're getting from Albion is a Type XII, and Richard I could very well have had one much like it.

That makes me happy haha.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: