North Italian Rapier
Here's a newly finished rapier based on a late 16th century North Italian antique sold by Czerny's a little while back. The original is such a unique piece. When I first saw photos of it I knew I was going to have to attempt a version of my own (i've posted an image of the antique at the end).

I imagine the original's line-work was cut with a chisel, but mine is etched. It's not without its flaws, but better than I could have managed with a graver.

The grip is carved hardwood wrapped in wire, with turk's head knots.
The pommel is keyed to the tang to prevent rotation and is held on with a recessed pommel nut, threaded 6x1mm.

Overall weight is 2.16 lbs, and the POB is about 3/4" in front of the guard.

The hilt is currently mounted with a 36" hollow ground Hanwei Practice Rapier blade. Good for HEMA (with a rubber blunt) or stage combat. If you like the hilt and prefer a different blade, let's talk.

This is available for sale if you are interested -- please check my website for pricing details: www.jessebelsky.com/stageswords

Attachment: 204.73 KB
IMG_20140916_182615877.jpg

Attachment: 196.43 KB
IMG_20140916_182630685.jpg

Attachment: 195.76 KB
IMG_20140916_182626334.jpg

Attachment: 202.56 KB
IMG_20140916_182937942.jpg

Attachment: 258.71 KB
IMG_20140916_182947131.jpg

Attachment: 234.52 KB
IMG_20140916_183004287.jpg

Attachment: 95.04 KB
IMG_20140916_182835978.jpg

Attachment: 106.86 KB
H2672-L51052381.jpg
The antique original
Hi Jesse.
Real nice Sword Fantastic workmanship love the grip and etching on the hilt.
Really nicely executed here.
I really like it, itīs one of my favourite rapier designs. Itīs and itīs wonderfully executed.

Just a side question on pommel (which is lovely, BTW): Itīs difficult to tell from the picture, but the original seems to have a slightly lenticular cross-section, it seems that the sides are thinner than the center. Yours is roughly rectangular. Did you do it deliberately to counterbalance a heavier blade (blunt edges etc. on Hanwei)? But as I said, I might be wrong with the original, Iīm guessing only from the shades...
Thanks gentlemen, I'm glad you like it. :)

Radovan, good question about the pommel. I would have loved to have some kind of side view of the pommel for a number of reasons...I'm almost certain there is additional etching along the sides of the pommel, but since I couldn't see it clearly I chose not to invent something.

I agree that the pommel is slightly lenticular. Mine actually is as well. It started as 3/4" thick overall, and then I rounded it so that the sides are 9/16 thick while the center remained at 3/4".

I think the lighting in the photos of the antique accentuate the curve of that surface, but it may have more curve than my version. I was actually surprised by how lightweight my pommel turned out. I was worried it would be too heavy, but that was unnecessary. I didn't weigh it in its original blocky 3/4" thick form but once I had rounded it it weighed only .5 lbs, which is on the low end for my rapier pommels. This turned out to be fine for the Hanwei blade I used, which is hollow ground and quite light. I was also aiming for a balance point close to the hilt which many stage combat folks prefer. A WMA rapier fighter might prefer a longer blade, and the slightly further out balance point. The blade on the original is about 41" long (based on scaled images).

So, its possible the original pommel is more massive (thicker in the center) or even that it's less massive. (more lenticularity resulting in thinner edges). It would be great to examine the original up close......

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: