I want to make a flamberge basket hilt claymore because ...
I found one on an antique auction sight and I did not bid, I probably should have but it is what it is. Now I want to build one. I have a Sterling hilt that already has a sort of wave in the pattern.

What do you guys think ?

Attachment: 44.97 KB
H1044-L60609253 (1).jpg

Last edited by David Lewis Smith on Thu 11 Sep, 2014 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Are we sure that this is all original, it could be a composite piece. Either way it looks awesome.
it looks to me if the scallops were added after the blade was completed. Notice how they touch the fullers? Though honestly this is the first of its kind I have seen. I rather like variations on the Scottish basket hilt them and think this would be a great custom piece to do

I have not studied flamberges in depths though. One of the reasons I posted here was to mine the common corp of knowlage.

Sword Hive
That sword looks off to me. I'm not a big fan of the flambard styled blades on basket-hilts but there are other examples out there. Here is one: http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/534.html
Nathan Robinson wrote:
That sword looks off to me. I'm not a big fan of the flambard styled blades on basket-hilts but there are other examples out there. Here is one: http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/534.html

Not sure about "off" as much as post fabrication modification. I think the blade was redone after forging. It is a period piece but I do not think it was originally a flamberge

I just want to do one
it doesn't look wavy enough to myself, the blade's real gentle, I've look over photos of many two handed swords of the flambard style blade, all the blades attributed to being original are much more saw like. later examples (Victorian remakes or most modern reproductions) seem to have that gentle flame like wave pattern to them, not the saw tooth look of originals.

but that's not to say that it isn't an original - looks cool, if you like it and what to reproduce something like it, that's all the matters.
I agree it looks off. But not in a bad way, rather the opposite.

at least to me the long edge - right side on the picture - doesn't look like it has been ground down to form the flamed form (an example of a blade flamed in that way would be this sword) but rather like it's wavy/flamed along the edge rather than along the flat of the blade which gives it a bit of a flamed appearance on the flat as well.

The back-edge not so much, but the front reminds me a bit of this piece from the wallace collection - which incidentally shows much better what I mean.
That might just be down to the photo of this particular basket-hilt though.
I want to make a flamberge basket hilt claymore because ...
[ Linked Image ]
David,
I think that would be a great idea if you make a sword just like this one. ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: