Help translating/dating mei on katana
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was anyone here able to translate and/or date the mei on these two katana?

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/62/lid/128

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/62/lid/123

For the first one, I read the date as: "A day in the second month of the ? year of Bunkyu". This would put it somewhere between 1861-1864.

The second is showa, so between 1926 and 1989.

Discovering the province/smith is way above my ability to recognize distorted kanji. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
I believe the first one reads

川越住?英義作之 - Kawagoe Ju ? Teruyoshi Saku Kore - Made by Teruyoshi of Kawagoe

文久元年二月日 - Bunkyu Gannen Ni Gatsu Hi - First year of Bunkyu a day in the second month.

He was born in 1823. He was adopted by his uncle Gyokurinshi Terukazu. First signed Haruhiro, During Tenpo (1830-1844) he became a student of Hosokawa Masayoshi and changed name to Teruyoshi. He used characters from both of his masters. He was hired by the daimyo of Kawagoe fief, he moved there and was granted family name Fujieda in the first year of Bunkyu. Known signatures from 1849 to 1869. In 1876 he died at the age of 54. Dense ko-itame, hamon is o-choji-midare, notare or suguha in ko-nie-deki. Chujosaku in Fujishiro. Toko Taikan 3 Million Yen.

Unfortunately I'm not well versed in Shin-shinto and only mei references I have of this smith are Fujishiro and Toko Taikan. So I cannot comment on the authencity of this signature. Unfortunately I can't see any details on the overall pic.

I think second might read

藤原正恒 - Fujiwara Masatsune

I'm not very confident on my skill in identifying these more modern swords. Second one has a stamp. Hopefully someone will give you more confident identification.
Thanks Jussi, that is very helpful!
Here is another one I have. This one is from a tanto.

As far as I can tell the characters are:
1. Jou (?)
2. Soku
3. Saku

Does anyone know anything about this smith (or can correct me on the smith).

There is also a strip of paper with writing on it under the fuchi which I haven't translated.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
I'm on my phone and in school so I can't say much. To me it looks like Sadanori but mei looks sloppy. Seeing pics of the rest of the sword would be helpful.
Jussi Ekholm wrote:
I'm on my phone and in school so I can't say much. To me it looks like Sadanori but mei looks sloppy. Seeing pics of the rest of the sword would be helpful.

Thanks Jussi, I'll try to get more pics of the tanto on saturday. AFAIK, this was a vet bring back from Japan. It was originally part of a set with a katana which he was not able to fit in his bag, so he traded it off before leaving Japan. It would have been nice to see the other blade(s).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: