1545 armour for Henry VIII
I´m looking for more pictures and information about this armour.

It´s probably French, and made for Henry VIII, his last armour. And it should be in in the Met museum nowdays. The picture is taken from the book "The armour & arms of henry VIII" but there is not much more information than this.

The armour typ is Italian from what I been told.

I would like to find a picture from the back, if there is any armour there or not, and some more details about the helmet construction. But all information about this armor is of interest.

Attachment: 31.66 KB
anime.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=...amp;tab=wi
Steve Fabert wrote:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=active&q=%22henry+viii%22+armour&sa=N&tab=wi

I have seen most of the pictures in that link, and, I´m sorry to say, not one of them is showing the armour in the picture above.
I have been to The Towern and The Royal Armouies so I have seen several of his armour there. You can look at some of my pictures from that trip here http://www.skauma.org/bildarkiv/dynpage.cgi?dir=/Museum/England/
In the Metropolitan Museum Of Art bulliten Dated May 1956 they have the following written about this suit "Armor of Anne de Montmorency(1493 - 1567 ) Constable of France . An emblem of peace in the ornament also appears on Montmorency's funeral monument in the Louvre . French, 1555 . Only a front photo taken from the opposite side of the one
shown above .
Thank you Allan, whith your information I found this in the NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/30/arts/design...mp;ei=5070
Very cool ! Still more proof that there's always more to be learned and more to know !
Still in search for more pics of this armour so i bump it upp. Anyone have a shot from the back?
I was in NY looking at it just yesterday :D

An impressive harness no doubt but sorry, I have no pictures from behind :(
I'm thinking that the Royal Armouries has a book in their on-line shop on Henry VIII's armour.
(Had to come back and edit) Yes. The R-A does have a book. The Arms & Armour of Henry VIII by
Thom Richardson ISBN # 0-948092-49-1.

Bill
William Goodwin wrote:
I'm thinking that the Royal Armouries has a book in their on-line shop on Henry VIII's armour.
(Had to come back and edit) Yes. The R-A does have a book. The Arms & Armour of Henry VIII by
Thom Richardson ISBN # 0-948092-49-1.

Bill

I know, the picture at the top is from that book, and the book is in my bookshelf :)
Mats,

I would suggest that you try:

Donald.LaRocca@metmuseum.org probably he can help you with this enquiry.

You could also try the Royal Armouries,they have a very varied collection of photographs of armour,not just from their own collection, that may well include this harness.

Try Phillip Abbott...........

pabbott@armouries.org.uk

I hope that this may be of some help to you.

Regards as ever,

Russ
Thank´s Russ. I´ll try that.
I'm compiling some cd's for nathan of all the pics i took from the Met, Philly and Higgins. I have pics of most all of the armours on display. many closeups and rear/side photos. I'll look through what I have and see what I have on this one. I know I have pics of the gauntlets. I think this one was in a wall mounted display, so I couldn't get rear pics, though.
Great, that would be very nice!
Well...I did get a picture of it. However, all I took a picture of was a closeup of the left gauntlet. I can post it if you want.
Don Halter wrote:
Well...I did get a picture of it. However, all I took a picture of was a closeup of the left gauntlet. I can post it if you want.

Pleas do that. All pics and information is welcome.
Mats Norlund wrote:
Pleas do that. All pics and information is welcome.

This is all I could find in my references on it , Mats ! , Mac

Article entitled: Clarence H. MacKay as an Armour Collector by Stuart W. Pyhrr
In Memory of R.T.("Peter") Gwynn .

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: