New Items from Del Tin
Del Tin Armi Antiche has recently put up some photos of even more new items!

Check some of these out attached below. More are available at the link above. Also present are some new photos of existing pieces such as their ballock daggers. Nice looking stuff!

Attachment: 18.31 KB
dt5168_dt5167.jpg
DT5168 German Two-hander
DT5167 Italian Two-hander

Attachment: 35.74 KB
dt5174_dt2165.jpg
DT5174 German Dussack
DT2165 Dagger

Thanks Nathan! That "Sinclair Sabre" sure does look nifty. Nice that someone is doing a run of those.

Gordon
Gordon Frye wrote:
Thanks Nathan! That "Sinclair Sabre" sure does look nifty. Nice that someone is doing a run of those.
Gordon

Hey Gordon, that's my favorite of the pieces too. Once I saw it I asked myself what I was willing to sell to buy one. I might still go down that path, but I really need to be careful about that sort of thing. I recently sold a film camera and lenses to both pay for some outstanding bills and buy me a sword recently up on the used market. I also traded away my Dresden set to trade for another sword. So tempting it is to trade, but often I'm left missing the old pieces.

Anyway. I'm not sure I'd personally call that one a "Sinclair Saber" in that it's really more of a clam-shell type of guard than the typical pierced one that extends from cross-guard to pommel. The term "Sinclair Saber" isn't well defined, as you know, so I'm not sure how important this distinction is.

Based solely on the single photo, above, of the Del Tin piece, I'd guess that it's based on this German dussage, circa 1580-1590 with the big fat blade:

[ Linked Image ]

Click photograph for full-sized version

I've always loved this original and have wanted one replicated for many years. Seeing the Del Tin version and noting how similar it is to this original makes me want it badly. Maybe I'll sell my couch or something :)

Cheers!
LOVE that clamshell!! The two handers are very sexy as well. Anyone selling these yet?
Interesting Twohanders look pretty good.

The Italian one does remind me a lot of the Venetian model 2162: The pommel looks about the same, the grip a little shorter maybe, the guard seems to not have side rings (At least from what I can see in this picture.).

The blade does seem a bit more interesting and maybe more well defined bevels and fullers.

I do like my 2162 but might prefer the new Italian in a side by side comparison. (Mostly the blade)

The German one looks like a well made example of the type: Looking forward to someones hands on review on this one.

The wide blades dagger looks like an improved (More decorative?) version of their cinquedea.
Nathan, your absolutely right that this is more of a "Dussack" or "Dussage" than a "Sinclair", but both are pretty much off the same fashion-block. I personally like the clamshell a bit more, so this is a great piece.

I can sure sympathise with you on the "Selling one thing to get another" problem! I frequently whine with a friend about the stuff I "used to have" but sold to finance something new and nifty that I just HAD to have (although that sure beats selling something cool to pay the bills though. THAT sucks!), and consider the collection I might have if I had been smart enough (or stable enough, LOL!) to stick with one period of interest and just do that one to death. Oh well, my eclectic tastes won't allow for such specialization I'm afraid, but as Robert Heinlein said "Specialization is for Insects". Thus I continue my merry way in spending too much money on too many toys! After all, it's our birthright, LOL!

Cheers,

Gordon
Those are great pics i have to say, the quality is much better on those pics then on the others.
I would like that clamshell hanger too where can it be purchased?
Adam Lloyd wrote:
I would like that clamshell hanger too where can it be purchased?

You could probably check out "A work of Art or Albion. I'm not sure who else is Del Tin dealer these days. The problem is the waiting list can be as long as a year.

All the new pieces are very nice.
Awesome looking stuff!

I suggested to him over a year ago that he should make a second run of Sinclair sabers, and he said he would consider the idea. Guess he decided to do a clamshell style cutlass instead. (or saber, or hanger...)

I also suggested a short sword length seax... let' see if it comes out...
This is also one sexy looking migration sword...

[ Linked Image ]
Allen Johnson wrote:
LOVE that clamshell!! The two handers are very sexy as well. Anyone selling these yet?

It's worth mentioning that one can order direct and that the site is indicating 9 months. I don't think there is much cost saving (if any) but the wait might be less. A friend had a pleasant experience ordering direct but the cost was virtually the same.

Reseller prices have usually been pretty close.

A note on that big German piece.
Huge and the weight isn't listed but ceremonia (ceremonial?) is.

The other is close to ten pounds.
(further edited;) I don't now where my head is at sometimes. It should be 2650 grams or 5-6ish pounds)

OTOH, the piece Aaron just posted seems a reasonable weight (all things considered).

Cheers

GC

Edited to add that Valentine and Albion are still dealers on this side of the pond (I think)

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Thu 13 Jan, 2005 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Justice wrote:
This is also one sexy looking migration sword...

I was going to mention that one. It looks like the old 2071 ring hilt, with some differences. There's something "Sutton-Hooish" about this new one (of course, without the garnet filigree work and pattern-welded blade). Oh well, it's nice to see another decent-quality Migration-era sword on the market....
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just saw some new Del Tin's. You can see them on this page: http://deltin.it/news.htm

Attachment: 45.72 KB
5146hi.jpg
Model 5146, Sword of the Patriarch of Aquileia, second half of 14th Century.

Attachment: 26.98 KB
6150hi.jpg
Model 6150, infantryman sword. Venice, late 15th Century
Hey, I like that 5146!
With DT2159 and DT5133, that is 3 Venetian sideswords for Del Tin. I wonder what is the significance of starting the model number with a six?
Ooooooh my. The Maciejowski choppers! :surprised:
I like both the 5146 and the 6150. But my favorite is the 5174, that we have discussed before on this thread. I note that the DelTin site has a different 5174 picture from that posted some months ago:

Attachment: 30.03 KB
DT 5174 Dussack small.jpg

Sinclair Saber is
Dussack, wheather Shell or Pierced Plate Guarded. Became known as Sincalir Saber after the Norwegian Militia ,with which they were armed, attacked and massacered Col. Sinclairs Mercenary Band, as they tried to transverse Norwegian territory, in 1612 to take service with Gustav Adolfus, in the Swedish/ Denmark Norway war. Something I read in the War History, also Google Colonel Sinclair. Always wanted one too
Also called Tessek
And may have a barred half cage, see it here www.laird.org.uk/Norway/Kringen.htm

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: