Any recommendations on a viking sword for under $500?
Hello everyone,

Any recommendations on a high performance viking swords for under $500?

any thoughts on the albion squire line?
The Albion Squire Line Viking is the best that you can buy for under $500.00. Not the prettiest, but certainly the closest to what the original swords were really like.

Best of the Del Tins IMO is the DT2105

Also consider the Hanwei/Tinker Viking - SH2408.
I second on the H-T....or a Hanwei Cawood. I love mine. Great, functional cutting swords. :D ......McM
I'll third the H-T Viking sword, don;t let the low price point fool you it is an excellent sword and with your change you can sort out the grip and possibly get a better scabbard.

Neal
I'm ordering the H-T Viking very soon. I once owned a H-T Norman, and it was one hella cutter. If the Viking is half as good, it'll be the last sword I buy for a while. :D .........McM
My only complaint about the H/T Viking is that the grip is too long, but then that seems to be pretty much a standard "feature" on modern production viking swords so, yeah, I'll recommend that one, too. :)
So the tinker..
Hey.

So three recommendations for the tinker. Is it really better then the Albion?
Better in cutting ability? Better in historic dimensions and form? Better in what way. It's certainly at a better price point.
Re: So the tinker..
Lance Morris wrote:
Hey.

No, it isn't better than the Albion. The H/T a good sword for the price. The Albion is a better sword, also at a good price.
Re: So the tinker..
Lance Morris wrote:
Hey.

No. But it is cheaper and very good for its price point. Also, more people have it, so more people can recommend it.

Albion makes "better" swords than Hanwei but they're also correspondingly more expensive, and whether you personally want to pay for the things that make Albions more expensive really depends on what you're looking for in a sword.
I own a lot of Viking swords, Most of what Albion makes, how ever one of my Favorite swords is a Kris Cutlery Viking. It is nicely balanced, a bit of a beast when it comes to cutting. I split the weld on a 16 gauge helm with it once, no edge damage to the sword

The only problem is Kris does not appear to have them anymore. I was going to post the link.

I own two of these. and you can pick one up normally new for about 250
A very reasonable alternative that does require some work is to order the blade of the H/T Viking or the Norman, and build a hilt upon it. Viking hilts can be much simpler than medieval pieces, let alone Renaissance-- all you really need is a few pieces of steel bar and some files to create a plain hilt that's still historically accurate and completely functional.

Or you can commission someone to do so for you.

Personally I love my H/T Norman, which could easily pass for a late-period Viking sword...
if you want a entry grade reenactment sword for someone on a budget, the hanwei practical line are a fairly solid place to begin. they are not that expensive and have both 3 lobed pommel viking, and a tea cosy pommel variety norman sword as well. i own the norman and it is serving me quite well.

the squire line from albion will however be a far superior product if you are willing to part with the money.
Note that 'Viking Shield' carries some squire line Viking swords that do not appear on the Albion site, and sometimes they are in stock and ready to order. They are a bit more than $500 though. But if you ask for one on the 'Marketplace' something may turn up in your price point.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: