Viking sword from Waal river
Hi,
I`m looking for some detail informations about this viking sword from Vaal river - it is in Museum het Valkhof, Nijmegen.
I need the parameters of this one - for reconstruction and research - and I can not find nothing - just one picture here:
[ Linked Image ]
EDIT: I made a mistake, I found the sword in the catalog of another museum it might be another sword.

EDIT 2: I think the sword was temporarily in the Valkhof museum, the site seems to mention a viking exposition for kids but that one stopped already. The sword below was found in the Oude IJssel according to the catalog which is part of the Waal river, sadly I haven't the eye to tell if it's the same sword.

I just quickly went to the site and found this info.

Quote:
Zaard, van ijzer met goud, voorstellen het z.g. vikingzwaard, rond 9e eeuw

IJzeren zwaard met goud geincrustreerd gevest, 8e,9e of 10e eeuw). Gevernist. Bodemvondst. 1 van 5 exemp. in Nederlands bezit, type 'H'. Gevonden in rivierbedding van Oude IJssel NB. In de ordner zit een verh

soort zwaard
materiaal metaal
afmetingen breedte 11.0 cm
lengte 94.0 cm
nummer 0774-1436
collectie archeologische vondsten
museum Stadsmuseum Doetinchem

[ Linked Image ]

Iron sword with gold encrusted hilt 8th 9th or 10th century). Varnished. Excavated. 1 of 5 exemp. Dutch Ownership. Type "H" found in riverbed of the old IJssel NB (North Brabant?) In de ordner zit een verh (no idea what this means).

Type: Sword
Material: Metal
Size Width 11.0 cm
Length 94.0 cm
Number 0774-1436
Collection: Archaeological finds
Museum: City museum Doetichem
I hope this info helps you in some way.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: