Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two Modern Franciscas Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Two Modern Franciscas         Reply with quote

Here are two modern reproduction of the Migration-era Frankish axe, the Francisca. Rather like a "Euro-Tomahawk". The one to your left is a James Townsend and Son "French Throwing Axe", the one on your right is from Therion Arms/A&A CZ:

Attachment: 59.5 KB
Franciscas2paint.JPG

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's the Therion Francisca, in it's glory:

Attachment: 58.17 KB
TherionFrancisca1paint.JPG

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok guys... I have ZERO, read that, ZERO, throwing axe type experience.. dunno what I make of them... those are pretty but... umm..... if you throw it at something... is there some sort of trick/art/skill that helps make sure the sharp pointy bit goes into the target, rather than the rest of the head or shaft? I mean, I doubt it would feel GOOD to get bopped on the noggin with it at all, but I'm sure it'd be better to put the sharp part in something..

anyone? anyone?

I can just see myself buying one, throwing it against something for hours, only to have it hit wrong, and fall to the ground, over, and over and over... and go 'huh...duh... i dont get this...'

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:
Ok guys... I have ZERO, read that, ZERO, throwing axe type experience.. dunno what I make of them... those are pretty but... umm..... if you throw it at something... is there some sort of trick/art/skill that helps make sure the sharp pointy bit goes into the target, rather than the rest of the head or shaft? I mean, I doubt it would feel GOOD to get bopped on the noggin with it at all, but I'm sure it'd be better to put the sharp part in something..
'

Well, it just takes the feel for the balance point and distance/force judgement. Something you can learn by experience easier than I can begin to really explain it. When I was about 9 years old I went out and taught myself to throw a knife. Took a while of trying and over time it destroys a knife, but you'll soon start to develop a feel for what you need to do to get the proper end in the proper place.

One thing I'd suggest is to start with a short range and don't throw with a ton of force. Just easy does it. Less likely to harm yourself or someone els that way. A axe or knife thrown with force that hits wrong can fly in dangerous ways and rebound with a lot of force. As you get better at throwing force and speed and distance can be increased.
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm... ok... so what you're telling me is that it is in fact totally possible to learn to throw something like that and have a pretty reasonable chance of hitting with the pointy end? Cool.. I'd kind of figured that mistakes could be dangerous, reference rebounding.. I think I'll stick to swords (of course, i just made an unexpected sword purchase so no axe money is to be had anyway.... ) and I'll post something up when I get the sword in question.

thanks for answering the question though.

chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The thing with throwing a knife or ax is that it takes PRACTICE and lots of it and you can never really stop. If you do pretty soon you aren't sticking them again. Also you have to practice from all distances or you will be bouncing them off your targets. However I have seen knife throwers that can do some truly remarkable things with a well balanced (or even badly balanced) knife.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Knife or hatchet, it is wise to do as Russ says and stay in practice. Otherwise you'll have to develop the feel for it again. Usually takes me a half dozen throws to do that after a long time off of throwing. I got pretty good with such stuff back when I pursued it. Was throwing 6 different shaped, sized, and weighted knives at a time and getting good results. Did some throwing of knitting needles (the aluminum kind). Even got some time in throwing regular nails. Those are almost required to be close range though, at least for me. The don't have enough weight to stick from very far away....

Anyway, throwing stuff and actually having it stick most of the time is possible and fun too... Happy
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice thing about the axe is that sharp end or no the recipient will know something hit them.

I've thrown some axes and with a fixed target I can generally get them sticking by just moving slightly up or back until the rotation is right. The trick is doing it when you're not sure on distance to target.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two Modern Franciscas
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic