Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Importing / buying antique swords / knives with ivory Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Manouchehr M.

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Importing / buying antique swords / knives with ivory         Reply with quote

Exclamation
This is a very important warning to all collectors. As you might know I bought a Persian jambiya which is being held by the German customs since they think the handle is ivory!! Even if it was elephant ivory the importation is legal but you need a CITES paper, which I did not know neither was I told by the seller or did the seller knew. getting the papers is no problem only takes time BUT if you get the item and then you will be FULLY responsible!

1 To begin with / ivory IS PROTRECTED by the CITES agreement in Washington, paragraph 3, so not only in the USA and EC but in all countries which have signed the CITES agreement. It means that if you have bought antiques without CITES papers you have been lucky so far in getting all your ivory through the customs without CITES papers.

2 The authorities in Bonn told me that I could apply for the papers which will take some time but will be no problem to get them. However, since the item is already in Germany THERE IS NO WAY that they could issue the documents; this has to be done ONLY by the authorities in the country where the item has been sent, in this case THIS IS USA!

3 The authorities told me that the jambiy will be confiscated and I will get an additional fine of at least 600 EUORS for trying to import an illegal item containing endangered species material meaning ivory. The jambiya will be either destroyed or given to the Government of Germany. In addition this is a criminal act on my part!

4 The Frankfurt customs rejected our proposal to send the item to Hermann Historica to Munich for expert analysis that the item is INDEED antique!

5 The customs also stated that the package would under NO CIRCUMSTANCES be sent back to the USA! Too late!

6 Tomorrow there will be the fourth inspection by an expert and then they will send it to Senkenberg Museum in Frankfurt for material analysis to determine whether it is ivory or NOT! I HAVE TO PAY FOR THE WHOLE DAMNED THING WHICH WOULD COST ME A LOT OF MONEY.

7 They also do not believe us that this is an antique since they said that an antique dagger could not be at a low price range !!

8 I have to pay a very big fine and will be registered! Very bad for me as a banker!!!!

9 Funny thing or sad thing is that so far no lawyer wanted to take up my case!

10 My legal insurance told me that THEY WOULD NOT COVER THIS SINCE THIS IS EXTRA RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO PLEASE ASK FOR THE CITES PAPERS,it is the job of the seller to take care of them before sending and they should accompany the item, otherwise you will be victimized and responsilble for the whole damned thing and have to pay a fortune!!!

Regards

Manoucher
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning, Manoucher. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, which is a mistake based on not knowing that it is illegal. Go for the analysis, even if it costs a bit; hopefully, it will clear you. Good luck!
Manouchehr M.

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I think it will take them couple of weeks and hopefully the wootz will not be ruined by then.

Gruesse

Manoucher

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Importing / buying antique swords / knives with ivory
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic