Prussian Model 1742 Hussar Sabre
I just recently picked up this nice little gem, but I am having a hard time finding a actual value range. It seems like these Prussian 42s are a lot rarer then the British model 1788 (I think that is the right year). If anyone could help out I would appreciate it.

Attachment: 188.42 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 222.93 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 212.89 KB
[ Download ]
Is a generic ballpark worth a few pizzas? I have not taken the leap for the book, mostly because Withers is off the point quite often (he is also a large dealer).

http://www.amazon.com/World-Swords-1400-1945-...0954591011

If it was less than four figures. you probably did ok but I would put wholesale value a bit less anyway. Condition really is everything and uncommon in the states or the UK doesn't mean uncommon in Europe.

The scabbard is a real plus and in better overall condition, you will see similarly old swords reaching $2,000 and more. You probably see quite a few swords on Ebay for years once they list that high.

The market has been wonky for years and along with incredible bargains, we see some absurdly high bids happening for less than stellar conditions.

I felt I somewhat overpaid for my mid 18th century hussar but the grip was pristine with little blade pitting. No scabbard though. Still a pride and joy and if I did sell it, wouldn't expect it to fetch more than I paid. With its scabbard? At least half as much more. Some will think in terms of a scabbard being half the worth and there is some truth to it in some circumstances. There is a screaming neat old sabre out there right now in the $500 range (no scabbard). With a scabbard, four figures can be reasonable if the condition is there. A decent blue&gilt 1830ish militia sword for $1,650? A bit high but reasonable to the right buyer.

Nice find!

GC
Thanks GC

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: