A few new things from my workshop
Hello! I waned to share some of the latest products from my workshop, and to get your feedback. So, here we go:
A viking utility knife, wrought iron with tool steel for the edge, carved cowhorn, walnut, brass:

Next is a Kiev Rus war knife, with a carved figurre of a saint, for protection. This one os meant for re-eanctment, weight 700g, blade lenght 50cm, blade width: 35at the base, 39 at the belly:

And last but not least, here is a WIP, a buckle to be, blackened, with an attempt of raised silver inlay, this belongs to the Great Moravian area:
New Work
Always nice to see your new work. By the way, is that buckle going to have a tongue and other belt fitting with it?

Robert
LOVE that war knife! Is it based on a historical example?
Thank you, gentlemen!
Robert - yep, the buckle is going to have a tongue, plus a strap end executed in the same manner as the buckle. Hopefuly done by the end of the weekend :)
Tim - it is indeed! A customer send me a page from a book of russian grave finds, so I took the blade shape and from that and sized it to the lenght he wanted. To accent the eastern origin of the weapon, I then added an antler ring with the ring and dot motif, because I have encountered it a lot in easter artifacts. the rest of the handle is 2 wooden halves covered by goat-leather. I also added the antler "pommel" - this is the only piece that is questionable, and, after getting a permission for the customer, I added it because of 2 reasons:
1. it was the customerīs request that the knife should belong to a warrior of christian faith - thatīs why there is the praying figure
2. the butt of a leather-covered handle looks weird when left as it is :D
I know of some viking swords that used antler for the pommel piece, and so I thought it might be historically possible to have something simmilar on a war knife such as this one.
I love it. Such a cool weapon! Would it be possible to post a picture of the original? It's just so cool.
Sure, here it is! Number 10
Hello! Robert, as I promised, here is the strap end. Now the buckle only needs its tongue...

Thanks for posting this Ondrej!!! I love the piece. That #9 blade looks pretty cool too. It looks similar to #10 but with some fullering towards the top... That would also be a cool piece!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: