For Sale: Der Schweizerdolch, Hugo Schneider - Rare book!
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Hi all,

Here's one you don't see every day: Der Schweizerdolch, Hugh Schneider.

This copy is hardback, still with original plastic wrapping and slipcase.

This copy is in Australia; price is USD $299 plus shipping of your preferred method, at cost.

I first found out about this book when visiting the A&A workshop some years back ... it was among a handful books I spied on the bookshelves that weren't in my library, and was used as one of the sources of inspirations for A&A's series of prototype Schweizerdolchen (anyone else regret missing out on one of those? :D ), and their current model. The book came highly recommended by Craig, which is about as good as it gets, in my world.

As books on arms and armour go, this one is amazing: historical background; typologies of blade, handle, fittings, and sheaths; period images; and hundreds photos of historical examples ... when you get an entire page of photos of tang fastening, endplates, and finishing; or maker's marks; or scabbard throats - or chapes - well, you know you're in the presence of not the average book - this is scholarship, documentation, and explication at its finest.

This book also has an interesting diagram showing the development of the Schweizerdolch through time, as well as the 'evolutionary' relationships to Schwerter and Degen. By-knives and prickers also come in for some treatment, which is not common in other books.

It's in German language, which usually translates fairly well with Google Translate if there are specific passages you want to interpret, but of course most of the technical information, such as dates and dimensions is straightforward, and it's easy to glean some of the most relevant key terms.

I'll just post a few images for now; can post more on request. Copies of this book, when they are available, usually sell for $350-$550. I'd love for this to find an appreciative home and stay within the myA community.

Technical details:
- 29 tall x 21.5 cm wide
- 184 pages
- Condition: pages excellent in very good dustjacket. (I managed to find one in 'as new' condition in Europe / unwrapped from the plastic sleeve, and am the only owner.) Slipcase is good with fading, bumps, and creases; it is not printed, so therefore just serves as a 'protector', rather than being an integral part of the book as a package.
- Publication details: Orell Fussli Verlag, 1977
- Photographs, diagrams, and illustrations throughout.

Payment via PayPal. Please feel free to ask any questions by PM.

A friendly bump for this extraordinary book! Please feel free to PM with questions.

I'm keen to see this go to a good home; funds will be going straight into a custom from A&A, thus keeping high-end custom sword-making alive!

This wonderful book is still available.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: