For Sale: 18th-20th Century swords and sabres
This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Hi All,

Some more things up for sale since I decided to have a bit of a clear-out. Hopefully someone will appreciate these more than I do? Prices include UK post and packaging. I prefer payment by bank transfer, but can work something out if you want to pay by Paypal or cheque instead.

I'm based in Leeds in the UK, so if you're close enough to collect, then I can knock a bit off the price for you.

Feel free to PM me or e-mail me on a.mercer@leeds.ac.uk if you have any questions.

1796 LC Sabre - £260 inc p&p
I’ve owned a couple of different reproductions of this sword, and eventually bought this original to replace the Cold Steel version I sold a few years ago. Between the two swords, there is no comparison: the original is thinner, lighter, more manoeuvrable and has a feel that modern reproductions just can’t replicate. You can tell it’s a real weapon: built for the job.
I haven’t wanted to clean it since I received it: the blade and hilt both have wear and patina/ spotting commensurate with its age and obvious use. The grip still has all its wire intact, and the leather wrap is all there
The quillon has been broken sometime in the past: quite a long time ago, by the look of it, as the steel around the break is quite worn and has the same colouring/ageing as the rest of the sword.
The whole assembly is sound apart from a <0.5mm play between the grip and the guard: the grip and blade are still secure and have no movement: it’s just this tiny amount of wiggle on the guard. Hardly worth mentioning, but there you go.

1796 Infantry Officer Sabre – £205 inc p&p
This is a lovely sword! Apart from the silver foil no longer being present on the grip, it’s in pretty good condition: the blade has a lovely bit of patina, and still retains its etching; and the brass grip has mellowed wonderfully.
The folding guard is also in good condition, with the spring action working well and holding it positively in the up and down positions.
As you can see in the pictures, there is a crack running down one side of the grip. This is pretty much superficial in that the grip assembly is still nice and solid and hasn’t developed any looseness despite repeated handling.
The blade retains an amount of flex that I haven’t been able to find in reproductions. A lovely sword!

1796 Infantry Officer Sabre (relic) - £50 inc p&p
Not much to say about this one that the photos don’t already show! A sword in relic condition, apparently found in the bottom of a river (don’t ask me which one!). The grip still retains its original wire wrap, as far as I can tell, or a replacement of commensurate age. The quillon has broken off, and the whole assembly is loose, although still attached. Hence low price…

1822 (?) volunteer artillery Sabre - £160 inc p+p
(I think this is an 1822, although it could be something else entirely: please chime in if you know for sure!)
In good, un-cleaned condition, with its original patina and etching. All wire and fish-skin wrap still present. The tiniest amount of play in the guard (<0.5mm),but still nice and solid.

1820s police/ prison sabre - £240 inc p&p
Sword is in lovely condition, although the scabbard button is missing. Comes with a scabbard which is all complete, albeit in a bit of a delicate state: the leather is now very soft, with a crack towards the chape, and much of the stitching perished.
Sword very solid in all respects, with intact fish-skin grip and lovely patina. The blade is sharp, and makes for a lively weapon.

Briquette - £40 inc p&p
A very low price for this one, and you can see why from the pictures: the blade has been shortened, and blunted quite some time ago! It’s still very solid, with no wiggles to the assembly.
Might be good for child re-enactment, or for use in demonstrations where children are involved, in that they could handle it without fear of hurting themselves?
Or for poking the fire… 

1908 Troopers sabre - £250 inc p&p
A joy to handle, and, at this price, almost £50 cheaper than the Cold Steel Indian replica!
Comes with its scabbard. The grip is worn, and the blade shows signs of use, but still very solid with no play to any part of it.
Numerous markings on the sword, as can be seen in the photos.

Yataghan - £110 inc p&p
Comes with its scabbard, although the scabbard is very frail. Blade is sharp in places, and has seen use: this wasn’t a sword for display! Very solid, and handles very nicely, forcing you to adopt a very natural chopping-motion when handling.

Antique fencing foil + extra blade - £30 inc p&p
One foil, with a hard-wood grip (ebony?), wrapped in ageing fabric. All parts are secure, although the guard is loose.
Comes with an extra blade and furniture.
Both blades marked ‘solingen’, and originally blued, with the blueing now developing a patina. It’ll probably cost me as much to post than I’m asking for them, at this price, but maybe someone out there will fancy them?

Kris - £20 inc p&p
As you can see from the pictures – a rather old vintage Kris, without its scabbard or stand. Grip looks to be fairly modern, although the corroded blade shows some evidence of pattern welding or at least a mixture of steels.

Vintage Sword cane - £70 inc p&p
Looks like an antique to me, although there’s no way to date it that I can see. Certainly not a modern sword-cane.
Pale wooden shaft and grip, with brass mounts and a button lock. The lock works, unless you pull hard on the secured blade, in which case it’ll still release.
The shaft features a burned/ engraved drawing of a dragon, and the crook is carved into the likeness of a human face.
The blade is single-edged: sharp, with some corrosion evident.

I'm being a little cheeky and listing quite a few items on the one post, and so am limited to the number of photos I can stick on. If you want more photos, please let me know.

Cheers,

Ant

Hi Ant, interested in the Police/prison cutlass, do we have a maker, any blade markings etc????
Phil

Hi Phil,

Crikey - you're quick off the mark! :D

I don't remember seeing anything when I was taking the pics: I'll double check for you tonight.

There were no obvious markings on the blade, like I've seen on other examples (name of prison, etc.), but there may be more subtle ones which I could have missed. I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Ant

Thanks to the Mods for moving this! Newbie error!

I've replied to Phil's query via PM, but if anyone else was wondering, the police sabre is completely unmarked: I can't find anything along the blade, grip, or scabbard.

Thanks,

Ant

Update:
The relic 1796 spadroon and the epee blades have been sold.

I've had plenty of interest in everything else, but nothing has yet to be finalised. I'll update with additional posts when anything else is sold, as I can't edit my original post.

Thanks,

Ant

Update:

The 1796 Infantry Officers sword has now been sold,
As has the sword cane.

Thanks for all the interest,

Ant

Update:

The 1908 sabre has been sold.

Best wishes,

Ant

Update:

The 1796 LCS has been sold.

Many thanks,

Ant

Update:

Price drop!

Artillery sabre = £140 inc UK p&p
Police sabre = £220 inc UK p&p

Yataghan is pending.

Cheers!

Ant

Updating this post with a price reduction for all remaining pieces (not many - thanks for everyone's interest! :D )

Briquet - now going for £35 including UK p&p

Police/ prison sabre - £200 including UK p&p

Thanks for looking!

Ant

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: