Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rear caps on 12th century historical spears? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Rear caps on 12th century historical spears?         Reply with quote

Did the spears of the 12th century often have a cap on the end? and if so what would one generally be made to look like? also if it were done was it common practice to lengthen the shaft life (to stop splintering?) or was this rarely done in that time period?

Thanks guys.

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear caps on 12th century historical spears?         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
Did the spears of the 12th century often have a cap on the end? and if so what would one generally be made to look like? also if it were done was it common practice to lengthen the shaft life (to stop splintering?) or was this rarely done in that time period?

Thanks guys.

Robert,

I raised this very question with Craig Johnson of Arms & Armor and he seems to think it was done but there's just not a lot of historical evidence. This question came up since I just got a Friedrich IV Spear and was considering adding something. Of course my spear is of later period so we'll see if there's any correlation. My question may have pursueded Craig into a research project (as if he doesn't have enough to do) so we'll see what he comes up with.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ferrules and butt caps can be seen in period art. A simple binding would suffice for the common. I think metal parts would least likely be used on a spear meant to be thrown.

I don't see spikey stuff as practical (although they probably existed), simply because one might poke themselves in the foot.

Cheers

GC
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I certainly look forward to hearing what Craig finds out if he has time...I have my spear head arriving in a few days so I'd like to personalise it but also keep it reasonably historical. I was gonna machine my own one up to counter weight it unless it was actually done I may just leave it plain.

Thing I've found hardest about like spears and axes is there isnt alot of resources online in regards to them...

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rear caps on 12th century historical spears?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic