Museums in DC area?
Any good arms or armor in Washington DC?
Thank you for any suggestions, did I remember a Native American museum that had a couple two handers?
Here you go
Check out this article in the Features section

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_visit_nmai.html
You're remembering correctly. The National Museum of the American Indian had a really good sword display... but they sadly recently took it down. To be fair, it was kind of silly that they had it in the first place. It didn't fit in with anything, and I'm fairly certain the Smithsonian was just trying to find a place to put the swords, and they used the opening of the NMAI as an excuse to get them out of the backrooms.

Here are some pics:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_visit_nmai.html

There was also the amazing Sutton Hoo find exhibit at the National Geographic Museum, as well as the Samurai exhibit... but again, both of those are recently gone. :( The Folger once upon a time had swords and armor on loan from the Higgins, but I don't know what the status on that is, particularly now that the Higgins is closed. I suspect that is also gone.

Despite the bad timing for you to see historical arms and armor, DC still has a ton of excellent museums, and most of them are free. The National Gallery of Art has some excellent Renaissance paintings which happen to feature arms and armor illustrated from the period. And the Natural History Museum has some interesting arms and armor from primitive tribes, which is pretty interesting (and is also an amazing museum in its own right). So you'll have plenty to see. :)
Whoops, Craig posted while I was typing. :)
The Walters Art Museum is an hour away in Baltimore, and has some interesting stuff, worth seeing.
Seems like most of the good stuff has been moved or mothballed. Thanks for the responses, I know there is a ton of stuff in DC I just figured there would be something for HEMA interested folk.
For a day trip hit Jamestown. Several years ago they had a very nice loner collection from the Met.
Of all the museums the American Indian Museum has a fine collection of swords, and in the Islamic section of the smithsonian there are some other examples.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: