Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next NEXT Next Gens... and another contest... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
It's actually Hauptmann ( double N) if I remember my german lessons correctly.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Thanks, guys -- checked the German dictionary and fixed it!

Best,

Howy

Does that mean I won? Laughing Out Loud
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
And the winners are...

http://albion-swords.com/sword-contest-2.htm

Great contest and a lot of great names -- very hard to choose just one... we'll just have to make more sword models I guess!

Arrrg… Grrrr… %$@)#*&%!$(#*@)^$# Evil … So close, yet so far…

On a serious note, congratulations to all the winners. Great names guys!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the "Dane." Why didn't I think of that?! Razz
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bummer desu Worried

I thought my CuCuhlain was a shoo-in for the Irish Bastard (he being an Irish bastard and all...)

Oh well, next time!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: New questions...         Reply with quote

I have a few new questions about the Next NEXT Next Gens...

1) The Hauptmann-- I can't quite tell from the sketch, but do I spy a side ring on the right side ("right" side assuming the right index finger is passing through the finger loop)?

2) The Reeve/Bayeaux-- to which of your Viking swords would you say this blade most closely relates to? At first glance, it looks a lot like the Geibig Type 3 used on the Vinland and Huskarl. Also, does the cross have a strong taper in thickness as you move toward the tips of the quillons? Or is it more bar-shaped?

3) What would be your best guesstimate as to the dimensions of the Dane?

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
the "Dane." Why didn't I think of that?! Razz

Maybe because I thought of it first? Wink

Actually, when I was trying to think of a name for the sword, I was having a really hard time coming up with an appropriate name. Then it hit me- other swords on the Next Generation line have been named after their geographical location, so why not just call it the Dane? Of course, I was expecting that either my suggestion "The Maximilian" for one of the German bastard swords or "The Gallowglass" for the Irish bastard sword would win. "The Maximilian" wasn't selected, and someone else had thought of the "The Gallowglass" before me, so I was really quite surprised to see that "The Dane" had won.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: New questions...         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
I have a few new questions about the Next NEXT Next Gens...

1) The Hauptmann-- I can't quite tell from the sketch, but do I spy a side ring on the right side ("right" side assuming the right index finger is passing through the finger loop)?

2) The Reeve/Bayeaux-- to which of your Viking swords would you say this blade most closely relates to? At first glance, it looks a lot like the Geibig Type 3 used on the Vinland and Huskarl. Also, does the cross have a strong taper in thickness as you move toward the tips of the quillons? Or is it more bar-shaped?

3) What would be your best guesstimate as to the dimensions of the Dane?

Jeremiah,
Some quick answers:

1) Yes the bastard swords both have rings on the outer side on the hilt, as you would expect of the types: the Hauptmann will have a ring on the cross guard, whlie the Markgraf will have a side ring on the ends of the arms. On the inside there will be a diagonal thumb guard ring on both swords. I have not yet decided if the Hauptmann will have a U-sahped ide ring or an oval ring. I will have to leave that undecided till I start working on these hilts.

2) The Reeve/Bayeaux have a blade that is pretty close to the Geibig 3 of the vikings in length, width and outline. It is lighter though. Enough so that the resulting swords will have a markedly different feel. I have some plans to base a viking on the same blade to offer a sword that is a bit lighter in the feel than the current ones (not that they are overly heavy, just that it is nice to have some variationin the line).

3) I have not my data in front of me, but rough estimates are 95 cm blade, 35 cm grip, total weight of around 1,5 kilos. Despite these rather hefty dimensions this will be a very agile sword. Very stiff blade, almost a tuck (according to the type) but still with cutting ability. Lots of authority. This type of sword is almost like a small pole arm when used in fencing.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: How are they coming?         Reply with quote

Hello,

I just thought I'd inquire as to the status of the swords marked with a "Mid-2005" release date, which includes:

- The Roman swords

- The Poitiers

- The long XVa's

- The Earl

I know these inquiries can get annoying, and that you guys are working your tails off, but I thought I'd ask, if for no other reason than to get a few "teaser" photos out of ya!

I'm particularly-interested in the Talhoffer and Earl.

Anyway, I love it when Albion releases photos of a new NextGen sword-- it makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning! And I get the feeling I'm not alone in that sentiment... Wink

P.S.-- Out of curiosity... do you guys do a "distressed" or "campaign-worn" black grip?

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric or Peter,
have you decided on where to go with the grip on the Dane? Will it be the wood/metal-wire combo or will it feature leather?

Also: Peter, can you tell me anything about the width of the blade on the Dane? Both at the ricasso as well as further down the blade.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*bump*
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Joachim,

Sorry, difficult to keep up with everything!
The grip for the Dane will most probably be bare wood with sections bount with metal wire. Grip section will either be hexagonal or rounded rectagular. Both types are common on originals.

Dimensions for the Dane (all subjetct to adjustment during development):
Blade length (with ricasso): about 100 cm.
Total length (including hilt): about 140 cm.
Width of ricasso at guard: some 28-30 mm (but the ricasso is waisted along its length)
Width of blade at base: some 32-34 mm (tapering in a very sublte curve to a *strong* awl shaped point)
Thickness of blade: about 9 mm
Cross section of ricasson: beveled rectangular with fuller
Cross section of blade: strong diamond.
This is a dedicated thruster, but as with many of these thick, stiff and pointy swords, the cutting performance should not be underestimated. This is a sword made for armoured fighting. Feels like a great long and sharp-edged awl with a positive massive feel. Not sluggish. Very stiff. Nasty and aggressive. An "unusual" and "different" type.

Hope this helps to build an idea of wat this sword will be like.

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Eric or Peter,
have you decided on where to go with the grip on the Dane? Will it be the wood/metal-wire combo or will it feature leather?

Also: Peter, can you tell me anything about the width of the blade on the Dane? Both at the ricasso as well as further down the blade.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Dimensions for the Dane (all subjetct to adjustment during development):

Width of ricasso at guard: some 28-30 mm (but the ricasso is waisted along its length)
Width of blade at base: some 32-34 mm (tapering in a very sublte curve to a *strong* awl shaped point)
Thickness of blade: about 9 mm

Whoa! Eek! That is like... Whoa! WTF?! I just brought out my tape measurer and that's like... Whoa mama.

Yes, this definately helped to build an idea of what that beast -sorry- sword will look like. I was intrigued by it before, but this makes it even more interesting. Those dimensions almost makes into a twohanded tuck of sorts. Dedicated thruster indeed. Thank you Peter for this piece of information.

Although I can't decide wether to opt for the Munich or this one. Confused
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

...Those dimensions almost makes into a twohanded tuck of sorts. Dedicated thruster indeed.

Yes, this is a kind of tuck, I guess, but one with some definite cutting capability. Not a pure thruster.

The Munich is yet very different from this: a *sublime* longsword.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Yes, this is a kind of tuck, I guess, but one with some definite cutting capability. Not a pure thruster.

Aah, the best of two worlds. Happy

Quote:
The Munich is yet very different from this: a *sublime* longsword.

Yes. I know. Differences aside, I still have to choose one of them. And besides, I think the pommel on the Dane is much more.... well, "me".
Razz
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now this is very interesting! Happy
Usually twohanders were optimized for cutting, but this is the first design I've seen that favours thrusting. This one is really more like a polearm - an Ahlspiess that can cut Eek!

I have to admit that this design appeals more to me than the usual Bidenhänder. very elegant design, that is.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

One sword more beautiful than the next! See, I was supposed to have been born wealthy. Laughing Out Loud Instead I got the great looks and wonderful charm. Razz Laughing Out Loud Yeah right! Laughing Out Loud

I absolutely love your swords and am looking forward to be able to start buying a few in the not too distant future. I have handled a number of your Viking swords and they are absolutely awesome! I imagine it's been one huge monumental task getting all these done. One thing for sure, you have a lot to be proud of and this goes for everyone at Albion. Thanks for making available to us rather obsessed customers so many beautiful swords to choose from!

From the Heart!

Bob

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next NEXT Next Gens... and another contest...
Page 11 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: