Another 14th c. bollock dagger repro
Hi guys,
after moving and setting up my new workshop I finally started to make things again :)
About two weeks ago I finished this commission of a 14th c. bollock dagger after a harbor find from Stade (Germany).

Dimensions:
Blade length 23,5 cm
Overall length 38 cm
Blade max width 6,5 mm

The blade was made by my preferred smithy Timm Esemann out of 17th c. refined steel with differential construction.

The handle is boxwood (like the original) with brass fittings.
The scabbard has a beech core, is covered in red wood died and stamped 1mm calf leather.
The scabbard fittings (the original dagger was found without the scabbard) are made after an english find.

Here is the original:

Here is my reproduction:

Hope you like it.
Another 14th c. bollock dagger repro

Good work Constantin! I've never seen a bollock dagger repro like this one.
Another beautiful dagger, Constantin!
@Shahril
Well, it is an earlyish type of bollock dagger type with a rather simple wooden hilt.
It does not feature a metal gueard plate yet but already has a metal end plate. It is dated to about the mid 14th c.
Great work! The details are great and I love the sheath! Congratulations!
Very nice.

I'm assuming by 17C 'refined steel' you mean shear steel? It does have that look. Lovely.
As usual, very nice work Constantin, from design to execution, this is top notch.

I especially like the scabbard mounts and clean stamp work.

Very impressive indeed.
Scott Roush wrote:
Very nice.

I'm assuming by 17C 'refined steel' you mean shear steel? It does have that look. Lovely.

I am not sure what the exact term is in english. It is steal obtained in a Renn furnace with its characteristic texture. In this case it is from a 17th century wall anchor.
It also has a fire welded on harder cutting edge. You can just about make out the part with a darker and denser texture at the bottom.

Here is a larger image of the blade:

All round lovely.

beautifully executed.

Tod
Thank you guys! This is very encouraging!
Today I recieved another order to make a repro of a 14th c. knife that had spent until last week beneath the soil :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: