Pictures - (Cluny) - musee national du moyen age - Paris
Here are a few shots from a recent visit at the musee de Cluny, Paris.
Their arms and armor lineup is not extensive, but there are a few wonderfull pieces to be seen here, such as the type XVa below, in pristine condition with its leather rainguard and leather wrap almost intact. I was very impressed by the falchion as well, as those are fairly rare in museum. The "basinet a mezail", or "bec de passereau", is also a superb example of the type.

Again, taking decent pictures is a challenge, as there is close to no lights in those rooms...(for preservation purposes?)

Cheers,

J

Last edited by Julien M on Fri 11 Sep, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 6 times in total

Julien-

Thanks again for posting such fine pictures. I agree with you about the falchion; it's fantastic! The hole towards the tip, was it from corrosion or by design? It looks like it may be purposful but I can't tell........
Ciao,

a good job Julien. Thanks for the photos you've posted.
I think it's good for many of us. :)
Cheers,
Maurizio
Les Voila!
Je les aime bien! Could you go to the Tower and get pictures of the swords and arms there too? You are definitely a resource for this website. Excellent job.
That's the best photo of the Cluny Falchion's pommel I've seen yet. The grip seems so small...is it angle, or was it really that tiny when you visited?

M.
Hmm ... how in heck did I miss this thread at the time?

Julien, once again, you're a champion - those are some of the best detail shots I've seen of either the Cluny fishtail or the longsword.

Your contributions here really add to our learning!

Thanks again,
Mark
Harry, anything specific you want from the Tower? Bearing in mind most of the RA collection is at Leeds now. I'm working there Friday and can get pics.

Griff
Hi Griff,

Looks like Harry hasn't posted to myA for a few years. Sorry I dug up an old thread; I for one always love to see detailed pics of hilts of 15th - early 16th C swords if you get the chance!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: