Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Dirk by Fox Creek Forge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: New Dirk by Fox Creek Forge         Reply with quote

Last summer I found the following website for Fox Creek Forge: http://foxcreekforge.com/ owned by Richard Mize. I really liked the dirks he had pictured on the site, and asked Richard to add my name to his notification list the next time he started work on a dirk. He contacted me in November to let me know he was ready to begin work on a new one, and we came to an agreement on the price. Over the next 2 months, Richard emailed me photos of the dirk in it's various stages of progress.

The dirk arrived the other day, and I couldn't be more pleased with it:
Blade length: 13-3/8"
Width: 1-1/4"
Overall length: 18"

The blade is hand forged 1084 carbon steel. It has a "double swedge" profile on one face of the blade (the other face is left plain). I have seen some interesting blades on original dirks. Although I have never seen one with this geometry, I have to admit that it is one of my favorite aspects of the dirk.

The hilt is European Beech, and the interlace carving is neatly done with two bands covering the grip and a triquetra dividing the lobes on each face. The wood has a warm, brown oil finish. The ferrule and pommel cap are iron, and the hilt is secured by a brass nut decorated with filework. The dirk came complete with a sturdy vegetable tanned leather sheath stitched up the back.

Richard gives his pieces an aged finish. When I received the dirk, I found a few spots a bit dark for my liking, and buffed them down with 0000 steel wool, leaving a mellow, even patina over all the iron parts. Unfortunately, my photos make the dirk look much more brightly polished than it truly is. It actually has the look and feel of a well used, but cared for, piece.

Richard's work is as good as it appears on his website. He was a real pleasure to do business with, keeping in regular communication with me all along the way. I would highly recommend his work to anyone seeking a quality custom dirk at a reasonable price.

Sic Semper Tyranus
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a very nice dirk Chris,

Can you, or any one else, speculate about the geometry of the back edge? Is this a merely an aesthetic feature, or is there some functional aspect to having two sharp regions separated by a non-sharp region? Any how, it looks neat.

Alexi
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi,

It is difficult to tell by the photos, but the swedges are pretty shallow -- not nearly deep enough to create a sharpened edge on the spine of the blade. I'm not an expert on this, but my assumption is they are simply a decorative way to lighten the blade.

Sic Semper Tyranus
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Nice dirk!
I really like that knotwork!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Richard Eddings Mize

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris, The blade form is simply my interperetation of the earlier forms. Think dudgeon dagger. and Eared Dagger. I love those blades, and hope some day to tackle one. Eared daggers are especially fascinating. I dont make a replica of any specific piece; dirk forms are quite varied and stylistically fluid. I AM concerend with making something that shows the hand of the craftsman, and least tries to make a conncection in my modest way with the past skilled craft traditions. I am alway so happy to connect with a customer, I mean Friend. Happy
Richard Mize, Fox Creek Forge
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darn nice dirk! I've seen modern and antique knives both that feature a section of the spine that is beveled like that. It's a purely utilitarian addition.......it lightens the blade, yes....and it also gives a handy 'axe' edge to split kindling and crack joint bones of deer, boar or whatever the days hunt produced. This left the main edge and 'swedge' sharp for the dispatch of highway robbers and border bandits. mcm.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well hi there Chris,

Missed seeing ya' Sunday.

Anyhow, aren't we becoming quite the "dirk miester"? The V-E from Nathan R. and now this?
Very nice piece there....really like the knot work on the grip as well. You'll have to give me a hands-on look at this one too.

Say "ello" to Teresa and the lads for me, maybe catch-up to ya' this weekend.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Sweet Dirk         Reply with quote

Nice one Chris. I hope to order a sgian from Foxcreek soon. I am impress with the quality and aestetics that I see in your dirk.

Joel
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Chris on one fine looking dirk!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Dirk by Fox Creek Forge
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic