Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anybody know the details of this relief? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Anybody know the details of this relief?         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I had a couple questions about this relief (if that's not the proper term for this artifact please correct me so I don't make such a mistake again).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bullets4brains/14408888563/

1) Does anybody have any links to a picture of the whole thing, as opposed to just this part?
2) I heard it's from the 1170s. Is that correct? If not what is the time frame / place of origin for this artifact?
3) It appears this figure is holding a weapon that has a blade like the later falcions but the handle of a Maciejowski falchion ("chopper"). Is that a correct assessment?

Thank you.

-Skriletz
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Anybody know the details of this relief?         Reply with quote

I am not sure what relief is this but I am sure that this one comes from the Middle Ages.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

its the bas relief from Milan's Porta Romana, a sculpture made in remembrance of the rebuilding of the town in 1171 after its destruction by Emperor Frederic Barbarossa.

A better image from wikimedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...b-2008.jpg
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think its very interesting to that this shows the details of the characters, one of the characters you can see has a little heraldry on his shield.
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
its the bas relief from Milan's Porta Romana, a sculpture made in remembrance of the rebuilding of the town in 1171 after its destruction by Emperor Frederic Barbarossa.

Fantastic! Thank you, Mr. Giordan!

Quote:
I think its very interesting to that this shows the details of the characters, one of the characters you can see has a little heraldry on his shield.

I had noticed that as well, Mr. Wallace. Very interesting. In the 12th century tapestries I've looked through, you don't see many heraldic animals displayed on shields, maybe a bird here, or a boar there, but they are few and far between...at least in my experience.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey,

As you may already know, heraldry only begins in the 12th century, perhaps at the very earliest in the first half of the century, and starts to become more common in the second half. Chretien de Troyes' writings make reference to it, but he was writing circa 1170 to 1190. It's difficult to identify at what point 12th century manuscript artwork begins to represent heraldric designs on shields as opposed to decorations or patterns, but by the 1190s, we do find unambiguous examples of heraldric representations.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey Skriletz wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

Fantastic! Thank you, Mr. Giordan!

Quote:

I had noticed that as well, Mr. Wallace. Very interesting. In the 12th century tapestries I've looked through, you don't see many heraldic animals displayed on shields, maybe a bird here, or a boar there, but they are few and far between...at least in my experience.

I forgot to add that this part of the relief depicts milanese infantry. The two men in hauberks are the captains. As for the heraldry I cannot identify its origin for the moment, I wills earch the italian web later.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anybody know the details of this relief?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic