Viking Artifacts Found Near Great Lakes
Michigan| A group of amateur archaeologists searching for the remains of a native american settlements near the town of Cheboygan, on the coast of Lake Huron, have uncovered a large quantity of artefacts, allegedly of Norse or Viking origin. A total of 194 objects, mostly made from various metals including silver, iron, copper and tin, were found on what could be the site of an ancient viking trade post, controlling the Straights of Mackinac, that leads to Lake Michigan.

The artefacts are of various nature and geographical origin. Swords, axes and other weapons from Scandinavian or Germanic origin, silver buttons and a balance scale allegedly from the British isles, hair combs and knife handles made of walrus ivory and originating from Greenland or Iceland… The presence of all these goods suggests an elaborate and efficient economic system based on long-distance trade.

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/usa-viking-ar...eat-lakes/
Re: Viking Artifacts Found Near Great Lakes
Craig Peters wrote:
Michigan| A group of amateur archaeologists searching for the remains of a native american settlements near the town of Cheboygan, on the coast of Lake Huron, have uncovered a large quantity of artefacts, allegedly of Norse or Viking origin. A total of 194 objects, mostly made from various metals including silver, iron, copper and tin, were found on what could be the site of an ancient viking trade post, controlling the Straights of Mackinac, that leads to Lake Michigan.

The artefacts are of various nature and geographical origin. Swords, axes and other weapons from Scandinavian or Germanic origin, silver buttons and a balance scale allegedly from the British isles, hair combs and knife handles made of walrus ivory and originating from Greenland or Iceland… The presence of all these goods suggests an elaborate and efficient economic system based on long-distance trade.

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/usa-viking-ar...eat-lakes/

Wow, its hard to believe after so many inland Viking artifact hoaxes, but this looks like the real deal.
I'm not completely certain that this news is legitimate since it's difficult to find other sources that mention it. Hopefully, it's not just a hoax.
Also, who knows where the image came from? It could simply be a photo of Viking artifacts from an unrelated find. Even if the story is legitimate, there may not be photos of the artifacts ready for release to the general public.
If its a hoax, then at least its being perpetrated by someone who knows what Viking artifacts should actually look like.
It is a fake story from the online equivalent of the grocery store tabloid "Weekly World News". Searching for the story brings up the World News website and a white supremacist website discussing the article. Definitely not a real find.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Craig Peters wrote:
Also, who knows where the image came from? It could simply be a photo of Viking artifacts from an unrelated find. Even if the story is legitimate, there may not be photos of the artifacts ready for release to the general public.

Try here:
http://sciencenordic.com/viking-age-silver-bu...ales-found
[ Linked Image ]
Quote:
An overview of some of the finds that archaeologists say suggest the presence of a large trading town dating from the Viking age in Steinkjer, north of Trondheim. The three small round knobs on the lower right of the picture are silver buttons that archaeologists believe came from Britain. (Photo: Åge Hojem)

The World New Daily image in the original post has been mirrored and rotated.
[ Linked Image ]
Quote:
DISCLAIMER

World News Daily Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within worldnewsdailyreport.com are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to politicians and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction.

- See more at: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/disclaimer/#sthash.eqcjhiXJ.dpuf

Its a fake.
Ahh, too bad.

It may still be only a matter of time before they find definitive proof of Norse people travelling that far inland into the CONUS.

I remember when I was a kid it was highly controversial to suggest they had reached North America at all.......how things change.
That's bizarre. I don't understand the motivation behind faking a story like this.
Max L wrote:
That's bizarre. I don't understand the motivation behind faking a story like this.

To generate traffic on Facebook and fill up my feed with people sending it to me saying "WOW! HAVE YOU SEEN THIS?!"
Viking Artifacts Found Near Great Lakes
I must say that the Vikings had never reached the Great Lakes area when they first came to North America. They never made their settlements away from the Atlantic Ocean.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: