Long chainmail skirt
Hello

I am looking for a long chainmail skirt, preferably ankle length

Have searched the net and have not been able to find such a thing, hope somebody can point me in the right direction

Regards
Michael
Hey Michael, You're not likely, if at all going to find a Maille skirt of that length commercially made anywhere. So you're best bet is to have it custom made. I would recommend inquiring with this website: www.customchainmail.com they most likely will be able to help you get what you want. And they have really good reviews on the ArmourArchive.

I hope this helps.
Or......You could buy a boatload of loose rings and make it yourself. :D ............McM
Another alternative would be to get a full hauberk and remove the upper portion, maybe just below the pectorals, leaving you with a "skirt", and a "half shirt" that could be usable as a voider under later period plate. You would have to trim the sleeves, but the excess material could be used to fill-in and close the split you would normally find in the lower portion of the hauberk (unless you want it split), or to extend the lower section of the half shirt if it doesn't quite fill the void areas.

Edit: well, whataya know - my 100th post. And it only took a little over 6 years :lol:
Now I'm just curious.............What is your idea behind this? A fantasy or LARP kit piece? Because there is apparently no historical reference to any such thing. It seems like it would be difficult to run or fight in it, unless it was split in the front and back. That would be cool.....then you could lace the insides of the leg sections together and make maille leggings, or leave it unlaced as a free-hanging skirt. In any case, you would probably want an over-shoulder suspender system.....that would be a good bit of weight on a waist-belt alone. Without suspenders, you might have an embarrassing moment!.... :lol: ...McM
If you don't mind historical accuracy mailletech is actually really good. They make welded mail and the one I bought was a full harbuerk, cost me around $350. The point is if you want them to make a skirt they can probably do it for a lot less money. The mesh are actually very strong and light.
Thanks for the suggestions, they are appriciated

The use can best be described as fantasy

Regards
Michael
:cool: Mr. Andersen!... :cool:

Sounds interesting, like a mail robe or something to that effect.
If and when you get it done, could share photos with us... Mr Andersen? :cool:
Victor R. wrote:
Another alternative would be to get a full hauberk and remove the upper portion, maybe just below the pectorals, leaving you with a "skirt", and a "half shirt" that could be usable as a voider under later period plate. You would have to trim the sleeves, but the excess material could be used to fill-in and close the split you would normally find in the lower portion of the hauberk (unless you want it split), or to extend the lower section of the half shirt if it doesn't quite fill the void areas.

This is an excellent suggestion. Buy a long-sleeved hauberk and chop it in half. Keep the bottom for your skirt and make the top into some sleeves to be worn under plate harness. You could sell it and pay for most of the cost of the original hauberk.

Attachment: 61.78 KB
Mail sleeves in DHM.jpg

Attachment: 48.2 KB
Mail-short shirt.jpg

Dan,

Not that it matters a whole lot, but that manuscript image from the BAV is mirrored.

Attachment: 180.86 KB
BAV Ott.Lat. 1417 f.020r (450x386).jpg
BAV Ott.Lat. 1417 fo20r

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: