Continental Infantry Hanger
Some questions about a recent purchase.

Catalogue description:
Mid 18th Century Continental Infantry Hanger. 1741 pattern single edged slightly curved blade. The fortewith armourer stamp. Cast brass shell guard, the rear sectionremoved. Brass knuckle bow and downswept quillon stamped “BGC”.Brass ribbed grip and urn pommel. Brass now with dark patina.

I am not sure about the 1741 date in this case. I have seen a similar hanger in Harvey Withers' World Swords which was described as German 1816, but that had a fullered blade. As stated this example has had one side of the guard ground off, which I understand was sometimes done in service to stop it catching on the uniform. The only markings are a crown over F on ricasso. BGC on one side of quillon and 2622 on the other. Any ideas about a country of origin and date, or do I just have to say generic 19th century continental infantry hanger?

My stats:

Weight, sword:1lb 10oz (0.73kg)
Length overall: 29'' (73.5cm) Blade:23''(58.5cm)
POB: 3'' (7.5cm)
Profiletaper: 1.23'' (31.4mm) at ricasso, 1.01'' (25.8mm)at mid blade, 1.02'' (25.9mm) 2 inches from tip.
Distal taper 0.26'' (6.8mm) at ricasso, 0.17'' (4.3mm)at mid blade, 0.09''(2.2mm) 2 inches from tip.

Also posted on Sword Forum International

Attachment: 35.49 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 63.8 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 67.63 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 81.68 KB
[ Download ]
Continental Infantry Hanger
[ Linked Image ]
I think it should be a 19th century Continental Infantry Hanger with a 1741 blade. Quite strange, though.
Continental Sabre.
I think this is a 1741 pattern German or Prussian hanger, the hilt with the large globular pommel, flattened capstan and almost vertical spiral grooves in the grip certainly give me that impression.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: