Repairing a Gouge in a Leather Grip
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I searched to no avail.

Anyway, I have a ~1cm gouge in the leather grip of my Thegn. I'll get a picture up tomorrow (it's in the room with baby and, well... not worth it at the moment), but it's not terrible. It is however bad enough that I do not want to handle the sword for fear of making it worse. The chunk that was gouged out would tear off pretty easily.

So how would you guys repair this? I could fill it with glue or something, but I'm hoping someone else has experience that I can leverage as I only get one chance at this. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Hard to be specific without seeing the situation, but if it is a loose flap, I would just glue it down with some hide-glue, possibly cord wrap while drying, then rub down the entire handle with a new wax finish making sure it all stays down nicely.

If you have a laceration that gaps, a stitch or two might be required to keep it tight while the glue sets.

But then, you could live with it as patina, no shame in that!
Or take the opportunity to re-wrap entirely into something new while you are at it.
But I'll check in again when there are pictures :)
Re: Repairing a Gouge in a Leather Grip
Ed S. wrote:
I have a ~1cm gouge in the leather grip of my Thegn. I'll get a picture up tomorrow (it's in the room with baby and, well... not worth it at the moment), but it's not terrible.

A picture would be definitely useful. Is the leather completely removed, or is it scratched? Is it still hanging there? If is hanging you can repair by applying wood glue and pressing it back. Then take a damp cloth and press it down wiping the excess.

Should not be noticeable at all.
Super-glue has a very good bond with tanned leather, actually going through a heat and smoking when applied. If you can use it to fix your gouge, it'll be the toughest part of the whole sword.....guaranteed. ..............McM
For a deep, broad gouge or gap, I once just cut a new piece of dyed leather to match the hole, saturated it with glue, pressed it into place, bound that section with cord until dry then buffed as usual. The repair was invisible.
Thanks for the feedback, and sorry I couldn't get a picture up last night. I will do so tonight.

It really is a rather small gouge and the flap is hanging off (not detached). I think some glue and perhaps some wax to seal it will be the way to go, but I'll get that picture up later.
If you still have the flap on, then you'll be able to fix and it will be invisible.
I would totally avoid super glue for two reasons: you won't be able to adjust the positioning of the flap, you won't be able to clean off the excess. With regular wood glue, no sweat, apply generously under the flap, press it down and clean any excess off with a damp cloth. Would work with any slow setting glue such as hide glue too.
I would wholly agree with Julien

Tod
Julien M wrote:
If you still have the flap on, then you'll be able to fix and it will be invisible.
I would totally avoid super glue for two reasons: you won't be able to adjust the positioning of the flap, you won't be able to clean off the excess. With regular wood glue, no sweat, apply generously under the flap, press it down and clean any excess off with a damp cloth. Would work with any slow setting glue such as hide glue too.

Julien is right for another reason.... there are times I use Superglue for very specific purposes... typically, in a very SMALL area, where I simply MUST have instant, solid adhesion.

But - I also know that SuperGlue will make the leather in that area ABSOLUTELY Rock Hard. It works well, but it can be like a STONE under your hand.

If you have no need of instant adhesion? I would really suggest good wood glue.. For whatever reason, this isn't quite as rock hard NASTY as CyanoAcrylate.. I think your hands will thank you.
I'm sorry i've been so negligent in posting the pics, but I think you guys got the gist of it. The suggestion to use wood glue was a good one. I would have screwed it up had I used something like super glue as I didn't lay it down perfectly the first time. Thanks again everyone.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: