Thinking About the Next Weapon - Need Opinions?
I've been in a condition of serious admiration of the Albion Caithness, although I would truly like a Caithness with a Laird guard. Either way, I've also found myself in a serious condition of admiration or a Castle Keep Irish Viking Sword. If this doesn't produce enough internal conflict, I have also convinced myself that I have a serious need of a Marlin 1895 Cowboy. Not that I don't have another 45/70 rifle, but I don't have a 45/70 lever gun.
If I must maintain sufficient self discipline to only satisfy one of these desires in the next six to eight months, which one should it be?
Please employ all your powers of persuasion. Perhaps I'll find a way to break discipline......
I would also like to see a Caithness with the Laird guard, since swords like this are attested in the historical record and are very distinct. You could check with Albion and see if they'll do it for you. Alternatively, you could by a Caithness, ship it to Ernie of Yeshua's Sword, http://www.yeshuas-sword.com/, and have him make a Laird-style guard. Either way, it would make for a great piece.
I agree with Craig.......Go for the Caithness. I'm sure that Albion will swap a guard for you. I don't see why not.....same blade...........McM
I agree with the other opinions. That would be an excellent sword. Also, 45/70 is hard enough to find at a reasonable price for my Marlin lever gun. No more market demand please... :)
I wish there were more big swords in Scottish-style hilts with spade quillons and Viking-esque pommels. I love those swords. So.....what words to say.......barbarically refined. We need more Irish hilts on the market too. I want a ring-hilt badly, but Albion and A&A are just out of my budget at the moment. Everything else that is offered for sale just looks......wrong and clunky. May just have to buy a H/T bare blade and make exactly what the hell I want. :D ........McM
I have an old brass claymore guard and a cheapo Viking sword with a nice brass pommel .......Hmmmm.............Let us see what might transpire. :wtf: .......Franken-sword anyone?....... :eek: ..............McM
Greg, why do you need to maintain self-discipline?
If you are re-loading or just not purse shy, the Marlin all the way! BOOM he he he ;)

I long for a Winchester 1895 in .30-06

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
If you are re-loading or just not purse shy, the Marlin all the way! BOOM he he he ;)

Cheers

GC

What, not a .405???

But to the OP, get the sword, lever guns will be around for a long time.
Robert Frey wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Cheers

GC

What, not a .405???

But to the OP, get the sword, lever guns will be around for a long time.

Teddy I am not ;) I wish they would offer one in .308. I see old ones around in 06 and I know what to expect.

Cheers
Quote:
Not that I don't have another 45/70 rifle, but I don't have a 45/70 lever gun.

This thought makes perfect sense to me. It's very important to celebrate diversity. Even if you got the Caithness, you would soon be wondering about another Caithness with the different pommel. So I guess you need it to make sure.

I wish you luck with your struggles.
Harry you have my thanks. Sometimes simply recognizing what should be obvious throws everything into a new light!
And then I remember that I have a wife......

I may well look into asking Albion for a "hybrid". They may suggest a Laird with a Caithness pommel, since the Caithness blade is speced as 1/8" wider at the guard than the Laird on their website. The Laird pommel may be heavier than the Caithness pommel, as the Laird is 2 ounces heavier overall. The weight difference could be in the guard as well however.

I believe they Cowboy is going to need to get worked into the picture somehow as well. I would like to stick with a caliber I already use, since I mainly shoot hand load ammo. The only boxes of ammo I've bought since the prices went crazy are shotgun shells. While I'm pretty well stocked with 45/70's at the moment, a new lever gun would likely have some effect on that situation.

Mark, if you put that brass furniture on a blade post a picture of the result.
Greg...I've got your pic , just having trouble posting it. Just imagine a claymore guard on a longsword blade with a 5-lobe Viking pommel............It looks totally kick-ass. I'll try to get the pic up as soon as possible................McM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: