Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for swords by one Mr. W. Allan of Stirling ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Looking for swords by one Mr. W. Allan of Stirling ?         Reply with quote

Greetings all

Along with my partner in crime, Vince Evans, we've been on a quest to catagorize all the known, signed, swords we could find by those famous 18th century hammerman of Stirling, the Allan family.

I've recently assembled an album that features the ones we've found on Walter Allan.
Working dates - c. 1732 (admitted freeman to the burgh) to 1761( the year of his death)
myArmoury Album ..... My PictureTrail Album

I'd like to request that if any of you folks are aware of a (signed) piece by Walter Allan of Stirling (that can be solidly referenced) I would appreciate the information so I can add it to our album list !
I would speculate that most of these are probably in private collections, but there's gotta be a Museum, or two, that has one that is not included here !
(the big auction houses are another source that have passed some of his work along, thru the years!)

Thank you ....... (please surprise me, now :-)

Merry Christmas, all, & God Bless us, everyone! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Thu 09 Dec, 2004 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey that sounds like a neat project Mac, and a great resource to boot!
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Patrick ..... we shall "endeavor to persevere" !

I reminded myself of this old Christies auction, concerning two other candidates, unfortuately neither I or Eljay saved the pics, or info, and the link is no longer active ..... our bad ;-) Mac

Week of - 7/26/01
Mac wrote:
Two original Walter Allan of Stirling baskethilts were recently sold at auction, at Christies (London).....
One went for GBP 8,812.50 (about US $12,515.50) The other for GBP 4,935.00 ( US $7,008.69 )

"Thomas,
Just a quick note on the WA baskets sold in the Christie's auction last week.
Both were fairly worn, and WA's signature on the $9000 sword was practically
obliterated. The $6000 sword had a hilt similar to the WA hilt 1:15 in "Culloden....",
but was more similar in decoration to hilt 1:18 in the same book.

...................1:15 .....................................1:18

The $9000 sword
had a hilt that appears to have been a English dragoon officer's pattern, and it is a
tough one to describe verbally. It's also not illustrated in any books that I've seen, but
(here I get to do some bragging!) I do have one in my collection that was almost the
twin to the Christie's sword. Mine, however, is unsigned, and has a 36'' single edged
blade with one back fuller and traces of etching - the Christie's example had a
broadsword blade similar to 1:9 and 1:17 in "Culloden...".

................1:9 ..........................1:17
* All photos - 'Culloden The Swords & The Sorrows', The National Trust For Scotland (1996)

I note that once the auction is over, Christie's removes the illustrations of the
items. My comments above are based on photos that were on the website prior to the
auction. That's it for now! , ElJay"

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Wed 08 Dec, 2004 7:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good luck with this project!
How are the results going to be reported, will they be published somewhere? Or posted on the various fora?
Anyway, keep me updated!

(ps. Wish I could help.... heck, I wish I had one!)
(pps. Have you dropped Pat Tougher a line yet? If anyone has access to a real WA, it would be him...)

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
Good luck with this project!
How are the results going to be reported, will they be published somewhere? Or posted on the various fora?
Anyway, keep me updated!

(ps. Wish I could help.... heck, I wish I had one!)
(pps. Have you dropped Pat Tougher a line yet? If anyone has access to a real WA, it would be him...)

Hi Dave

The compiled data will of course be shared with all our friends across the sword community, but it's home will be here at myArmoury ! ( right now it's a work in progress, and I'm just using my Album section here, and my PictureTrail site, to workout the bugs, edit, and get things sorted out ! It's alot more work than one would guess ;-)

I have noted the Pat Tougher/Bezdek WA's, but I've yet to contact Pat to inquire about any others he may have solid info on ?
Perhaps, since you've met Pat several times (and offered to help ;-) you could findout for me, Dave ?
We don't pay well ... but we do have alot of fun scratching our heads about this stuff, and talking long into the night !

Alba gu brath, my friend ! Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Earl of Home's basket hilted sword by Walter Allan with blade inscribed to James III.
(Ex Earlshall Castle Collection, photo copyright The Baron of Earlshall).

Exceptionally fine 'rhyming blade' mounted in a basket-hilt by Walter Allan. The twelve apostles are etched for almost the whole length of the blade on both sides in addition to the normal devices and wording; retains most of its original gilding and originally came from the ancestral armoury of the Earl of Home. It may be of passing interest that this sword is recorded by Walter Allan in a letter to the Cannongate goldsmith Colin Mitchell, dated 19 March 1746, in which he writes:
"Sr you'll be so good as to take the trubel to receve my Lord hooms broad Sword and deliver the inclosed to him after reading it and Seale his letter and receve, therebie, Stirling for it according to the Accompt." He finishes the letter by asking Mitchell "how my Lord plases his sword".

--- 'Observations on some Blades found in Scottish Basket hilted Swords', by The Baron of Earlshall.
* The 13th Park Lane Arms Fair(1996), Plate 16 and 16a.

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Thu 09 Dec, 2004 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:

Hi Dave

The compiled data will of course be shared with all our friends across the sword community, but it's home will be here at myArmoury ! ( right now it's a work in progress, and I'm just using my Album section here, and my PictureTrail site, to workout the bugs, edit, and get things sorted out ! It's alot more work than one would guess ;-)

I have noted the Pat Tougher/Bezdek WA's, but I've yet to contact Pat to inquire about any others he may have solid info on ?
Perhaps, since you've met Pat several times (and offered to help ;-) you could findout for me, Dave ?
We don't pay well ... but we do have alot of fun scratching our heads about this stuff, and talking long into the night !

Alba gu brath, my friend ! Mac

Sure! I'll drop Pat a line and forward you the response.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just added this Walter Allan basket-hilt to the list .... Mac

To view the baskets detail better please click Here

Scottish basket-hilted sword, c. 1760, with a German blade.
The pierced steel guard is stamped (?A) for Walter Allan(?) of Stirling.
The grip is covered in fish skin, and the blade is inscribed ANDREA FARARA.
-- Plate 53 (b.) "European Swords and Daggers in the Tower of London" by Arthur Richard Dufty, 1974.

Attachment: 62.03 KB
was tower book.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Tue 04 Jan, 2005 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've also added this one, to this album ! John Allan Stirling Fecit c. 1714 - post 1731

53. a. Scottish basket-hilted sword, of the first half of the 18th century. The hilt of characteristic type, bears the letter A under the quillon (Pl.108), probably for John Allan(Sr.)of Stirling. The guard retains its tassel of wool under the pommel, sword knot of leather, and stout leather pad. The grip is covered in fish skin, and the single edged blade bears a mark, Pl.108. -- "European Swords & Daggers in the Tower of London", by Arthur Richard Dufty(Master of the Armouries),1974.

Attachment: 69.77 KB
jas tower 2.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for swords by one Mr. W. Allan of Stirling ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic