Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Sword Recommendations Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Custom Sword Recommendations         Reply with quote

Greetings!
For a while now, I have been considering getting a custom sword commissioned. But there are quite a few reputable sword smiths/brands out there.
So I am having a lot of trouble choosing which sword manufacturer to go with. And your recommendations will help a great deal. But I have been heavily considering going with A&A.
And if knowing what type of sword I want can help any, I am looking at commissioning an Oakeshott type X blade, with a style 1 cross-guard, and either a type A or Type G pommel.
But unfortunately I also am on a budget, so around a $1,000 is about as much as I can spend on it. But I just might be able to go a bit over that if need be.

I also really like the new Valiant Armoury Norman sword, as it is almost exactly what I want. But I have never seen or handled a VA so I do not know what their quality is like. What is VA's quality?

Thank you all very much for your time.

Benedictus Dominus Deus meus.
Qui docet manus meas ad prælium, et digitos meos ad bellum.

Deus vult!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a number of custom A&A swords. I'd put them at the top of my collection, and I strongly recommend Arms and Armor. They are expensive, but not so much as many other custom swordmakers.

The VA swords are good, and great for their price. If cost is a consideration, I'm sure you would be happy with something from them, though it won't be quite as good as an A&A.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At $1000, I would probably go with an Albion Reeve or Bayeux. Both are in the $800 range so you would save some money.

However if you really want a custom piece, you can not go wrong with A&A. Of course they've made at least 7 custom or semi custom pieces for me so I might be a little bias.

The biggest point in A&A's favor is that they have access and experience with a large selection of historical pieces. While other smiths/companies might make you a sword like object, the guys at A&A have an indepth understanding of the original items. You can be sure to get a "real" (for the lack of a better word) sword out of them.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both the A&A Shifford Viking and the Anglo-Saxon type X swords are less than 1000 and you would easily be able to work with A&A to get some nice customization, such as hilt wrap color or possibly pommel types on those swords. It might be pretty close to your budget, and I think their work is great. It would be an easy way to modify their production sword to get something really unique and personalized. I just ordered an Anglo-Saxon from them myself.

See this recent thread for some ideas on some of their work with hilt customization: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=30063

Might as well go ahead and ask A&A what they can do. If it's over budget you can always say not right now and save up a little more. They are a great maker I think.

I think Castle Keep does some really nice looking stuff as well and they have a very nice type X http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/gallery.asp?galleryid=215

I have never dealt with Castle Keep, but they seem to be good to work with, and from their pictures I always think they do good work.

Good luck!
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know by this point I sound like a broken record, but at that price-point for a custom sword, I would strongly suggest Ernie Roessler at Yeshua sword. Using an Albion type X blade I provided, he made me a great custom pseudo-reproduction. All together, blade included, price was under $700. Now, that was some time ago and his prices may have changed, but it was a fantastic bargain and would be even at <$1000.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to thank all of you for the advice. It was extremely helpful in helping me make up my mind. So I shall be making an inquiry with A&A, as soon as I make up my mind as to what I want with the sword itself!
Benedictus Dominus Deus meus.
Qui docet manus meas ad prælium, et digitos meos ad bellum.

Deus vult!
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joshua,

One thing to consider discussing with the guys at A&A is if they can make you a type X with a true lenticular blade terminus. I have noticed that A&A, at times, will produce an overall beautiful high medieval example but, for some reason, have a diamond cross section blade terminus. These did exist in period but were truly the exception to the rule on type X, Xa, XI, XIa, XII, XIIa, and XIII (a and b).

Just a thought.

Again A&A makes beautiful swords.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Sword Recommendations
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic