Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cold Steel on KOA... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Cold Steel on KOA...         Reply with quote

CS is 'back in black' on KOA with their 'Man-at- Arms' collection in the new arrivals section. Great blades at great prices! The zweihander is on my must-have list. Big Grin Check 'em out!.......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Cold Steel on KOA...         Reply with quote

A Cold Steel Zweihänder on your must-have list? You mean this one?

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like cold steel knives, and two handed swords are my current area of interest, but this one has no appeal to me. The dimensions all seem off. It lacks... Charm? I'm not sure what, but for some reason it's not for me. For a beater two hander I'll keep my Lowlander.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PC2065

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

years ago I was attracted to this two hander - but after researching originals I've trended away from it. its proportions are odd, if it had 10 more inches of blade it would fit into more historical specs, I also think it needs some profile taper.

cold steel's products are no joke from a material perspective I think they make something enjoyable for people who want to have a functional piece.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the reduced prices, I think these are a pretty good deal. I've yet to own a CS sword, but I've owned several knives and tomahawks. CS's products really are serious gear. I personally like the 'all black' look on these items.....gives them a kinda fantasy look, which I don't mind at all. If their great sword can handle all of the abuse Daniel Tosh (Tosh.0) gave one before the pommel broke.....well ....that says volumes. It's a wonder the fool didn't kill himself or someone else. WTF?! .......McM
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The cold steel swords are built like tanks, with all the positive and negative that entails.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By that, I imagine that you mean their blade geometry is undeveloped, and they weigh more than they should.
Bob Haynes

PostPosted: Sat 10 May, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
At the reduced prices, I think these are a pretty good deal. I've yet to own a CS sword, but I've owned several knives and tomahawks. CS's products really are serious gear. I personally like the 'all black' look on these items.....gives them a kinda fantasy look, which I don't mind at all. If their great sword can handle all of the abuse Daniel Tosh (Tosh.0) gave one before the pommel broke.....well ....that says volumes. It's a wonder the fool didn't kill himself or someone else. WTF?! .......McM

http://tosh.cc.com/video-clips/527595/cold-steel-blade
The whole damn flung out of the hilt and about nailed the cameraman when he tried splitting a thick log like firewood.

Here is a CS blog said clip. http://blog.coldsteel.com/2011/02/two-handed-...tosh0.html

I love Cold Steel, mind you. I personally own a Warrior series katana. It feels lively, and does have a fair bit of noticeable weight to it.

Just last week I received their yearly catalog, and that line you speak of is their Man-at-Arms line. Like the same basic relationship their Warrior and Emperor series samurai swords, the MAA line are cheaper alternatives to the existing examples.
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 May, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I have a second gen cs its on its way to me in a few weeks. Apparently its quite a good sword though I am thinking of using a stone to grind down the central ridge as the diamond geometry is a bit too much.
Tom King

PostPosted: Sun 11 May, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I kinda feel like they need to offer their bastard sword, with that nice fluted scent stopper pommel, with a more complex, ringed hilt design. Something historically plausible for the early 16th century to compete with the hanwei rhinelander and other swords like it.

I'd definitely pick one up as a project blade (hint hint, CS)

Attachment: 22.47 KB
cold steel improved.jpg
1000 hours in photoshop; the bastard with a cutback guard from their zweihander
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 11 May, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks totally kick-ass, Tom. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Great chop-job. Laughing Out Loud Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin ........McM
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Mon 12 May, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
By that, I imagine that you mean their blade geometry is undeveloped, and they weigh more than they should.

*lol*
Yes, if you want to get fancy about it. XD
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Mon 12 May, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of them weigh more than they should, and some of them are OK. Some of their overweight swords are OK by typical replica standards. People keep saying that their swords are overweight, are tanks, clunkers, etc. But this doesn't look to be true from the numbers.

Their 1796LC sword, at about 1kg, is overweight by about 100g/3-4oz, but is the lightest readily available replica. A bigger problem is that both that extra weight, and the non-extra weight, is in the wrong place.

The dadao, at 1.3kg is a perfectly reasonable weight.

The grosse messer at 1.6kg is way overweight.

The hand-and-a-half, at 1.4kg looks OK for the size.

The tulwar is overweight, at 1.35kg.

The Italian longsword is light.

Of their 3 jian, 2 are OK, and 1 is overweight.

Their Norman sword is OK.

Shamshir is good, maybe a little light compared to antiques.

Spadroon looks OK for weight (but I don't know how antiques compare).

The Viking sword is a good weight for a Viking sword (alas, it isn't very Viking).

The Warrior katana is in the range of modern replicas (i.e., overweight compared to antiques).

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 12 May, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of these listed by Timo have been reviewed over at SBG.

The spadroon doesn't look bad weight wise but the distal is horrid if comparing to historic blade cross sections. As with a lot of reproductions, they don't believe in dealing with the particulars. Then add a plastic grip and what do you have? A decorative hilt on a stick some will go ga ga for..

The run of US swords such as the Marine and army swords as well don't look bad on paper but I'd rather stick with the period swords widely available. The only pro I see is a sharp but heck, I have antiques I cut with to sooth my passions

This fancy sword attached starts at 9mm and thins to 1mm in an extreme concave distal. Some of the dozen or so spadroons I own are doggy compared to others I favor for handling but none of them start with stock as thin as the CS spadroon (which is more of a French de anglais blade). The simple ebony sword attached is a favorite "user" that cost $300 (more than 200 years old)

Cheers

GC.

Attachment: 35.34 KB
_DSC06341.jpg
A blade not too unlike the CS

Attachment: 72.25 KB
problqe.jpg
raazzzzor sharp kinda and a lot of fun for the money

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cold Steel on KOA...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic