Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Durer upgradeDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow, Julien, that looks fantastic. Interesting how much could be achieved with relatively simple tools.
And itīs a great inspiration too:)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impressive work on the leather: beautiful design beautifully executed. Big Grin Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright,things are taking shape (pun intended).
I had originally done the two side on a single piece of leather. but when folding it on the it guard, both sides where not exactly matching and I was bothered by that. So I cut the shape in half, kept the piece I preferred and draw it reverse on a new piece of leather so that both would match (when in doubt, do what Albion does - have a look at the Ljubljana Sword making off on their facebook page to see what I mean). I added some quick decoration (dots and lines), worked on creating some basic volume/shaping - then sewed both pieces on the guard.

Now I have to experiment with soaking the leather in collagen, to harden the leather. Once this is done, I'll have to work quickly to sew the bottom part of the grip to it and clean up the edges of the pattern. Then dye to match the grip, clean the fittings again, peen the sword and done.

J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien, I absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing the progress!
J. Helm

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually kind of like the way it looks with a different color rain guard, especially with the way it's assembled, with the partial wrap from the grip coming over the crossguard. I could imagine it with the laces dyed to match the grip and a scabbard with similar highlights. I mean it could be any color but it looks like a good possible design for a two-tone. That may not be a historically accurate thing to do though.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Helm wrote:
I actually kind of like the way it looks with a different color rain guard, especially with the way it's assembled, with the partial wrap from the grip coming over the crossguard. I could imagine it with the laces dyed to match the grip and a scabbard with similar highlights. I mean it could be any color but it looks like a good possible design for a two-tone. That may not be a historically accurate thing to do though.

Funny you should mention that had the same idea over the afternoon, tough I was thinking of dying the laces brown to match the grip, and the rest red, and back to brown for the tiny dots. Middle ages was bright and full of colors, so it would be historically correct (paint on top would also be used). That said, it would work with a uniform dye too - and I've never tried precise application of leather dye, I suspect it could be tricky to achieve properly...and if I mess it up, the only option would be to go black. I may give that a go on a test piece...
J. Helm

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Red was the color I had in my head. Happy
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Julien,

Great work.

Dye the leather before the collagen as it won't take the dye well after is hardens off, but of course do an experiment.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Hi Julien,

Great work.

Dye the leather before the collagen as it won't take the dye well after is hardens off, but of course do an experiment.

Tod

Thanks Tod!
Damn - I had the collagen on the hob, and it's too late to go find leather dyes in the bottom of my shed now. I'll dip a piece of leather in there since I have it almost ready...see what happens, but will pass on trying on the rain guard.
Appreciate the tip, this might have ruined the all thing. I'll give this a go in a few days.
Cheers!
J
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's looking great! That grip! Can't wait to see the finished piece.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jonathan Hodge

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm excited to see what direction you decide to go with this. It's looking marvelous!
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great, somebody will have red fingers at the office tomorrow...remind me to wear latex gloves next time Happy
But it was worth it. I complicated the task and went two tones as promised - I don't regret it as I like the outcome. Pretty horrible to do though, it took 4 or 5 passes on the brown areas with diluted dye to match the brown of the grip, not to mention that a single mistake would have ruined it all. Then onto the red, then another brown pass to sharpen the contrast. I will let it dry thoroughly tonight, then I will decorate the overlap / harden with gelatin, and glue or sew the overlap (haven't made up my mind on that yet. I will enhance the red with red polish cream too, I've used that trick on red scabbards in the past and it works like a charm after buffing it. An I will likely do another brown pass tomorrow too. Let me know what you think - I can still dye it all black!

J. Helm

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it looks great! Nice execution! I'm glad to see you went through with it. The other enhancements you mentioned will probably make it even better.
Jonathan Hodge

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the contrast of the red and brown. It helps add accent to the details and provide something pleasing to the eye. The shape of the handle, tool work on the leather, and color contrast come together to make this piece stunning overall. I admire your work Julien!
Julien M

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great - finally managed to mess this up, and I have only my own stupidity to blame for it. Was almost there really - but thought appropriate to dye the inside of the shape dark brown...and bang, my beautiful red turned to murky oxblood in places because the dark brown dye sweated through the leather. I'm going to forget this project for a while as I feel ready to finish up this rain guard with a sledge hammer right now...
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Noooo! You might change your mind after you live with it for a few days. Even if you decide to start over, you can use the piece for a toy sword or something.
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Julien M

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy One side is almost intact, reminding me how good it looked before I messed up...And I'm not ready to go single tone now. Making a brand new shape would take me about an hour, but I'm stubborn. Damn it, I'm going full fieblings paint now,problem is that I applied shoe wax on it already and this might turn really nasty. Oh well, at this point, ain't got much to loose. Disgusted!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JVQTI6Q/ref=twister_B00JVQTHX0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel your pain. I've scrapped a few projects. I'm contemplating rebuilding my most recent sword.
-Sean

J. Helm

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bummer! I have faith that you can do it again. But yeah, might be a good idea to take a break from it until you feel inspired and come at it again with a clear mind. Slowly but surely.
Julien M

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case you are wondering what not to do when dying leather, here it is! Happy Remember this is a porous material...Left side was mostly spared, right is where the damage got worse. Of course I could settle for oxblood, but then the contrast with brown would be lessened so there is no point. Let's see what that fieblings paint will do but at this point I'm not too optimistic.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Durer upgradeDIY Project
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: