Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New sword magazine: Blade's Edge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: New sword magazine: Blade's Edge         Reply with quote

Hello all!
I saw that Dark Sword Armory has a new online magazine called Blade's Edge. It is dedicated just to the manufacture and use of the sword throughout history.
It is a pretty enjoyable read. and it features articles written by Tinker Pearce, also with some recognized HEMA instructors.
I think this magazine shows a lot of promise, and I thought I should share it with you all.

http://darksword-armory.com/blog/blades-edge-...014-vol-1/

Benedictus Dominus Deus meus.
Qui docet manus meas ad prælium, et digitos meos ad bellum.

Deus vult!
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: New sword magazine: Blade's Edge         Reply with quote

I've never seen two-handed Viking swords until Darksword Armory decided to make one.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that is my only problem I have with DSA really. They focus too much on fantasy, and inspirational pieces. And not enough historical blades.
The quality of their swords have improved greatly in the past few years though. I have been considering making a review of their products old vs new, as I have swords from several years of their business.

Deus vult!
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Waters wrote:
Yeah, that is my only problem I have with DSA really. They focus too much on fantasy, and inspirational pieces. And not enough historical blades.
The quality of their swords have improved greatly in the past few years though. I have been considering making a review of their products old vs new, as I have swords from several years of their business.

How has the quality improved? I have never bought a DSA sword but I have heard that, at least in the past they were overly heavy but very tough swords. I have noticed on kult of athena that their swords actually taper now, are they properly weighted now?

The link at the top doesn't work.
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They have improved in almost every way. Better weight, better balance, added taper. And their new scabbards are very nice for non custom work.
My two favorite swords from them are The Crusader, and the WMA-701.
My Crusader sword only weighs 2 lbs 5 oz, and the POB is 3". It feels nice and light in the hand, and handles very comfortably.
The WMA weighs 2lbs 7 oz, and it's POB is about 3 1/2". If you order the WMA with the rounded tip, you get an Oakeshott type X blade, and the traditional tip is a type XII blade, both of which handle very well and comfortably. And to boot the WMA is an absolute tank.
They have ironed out almost all of the issues they had with their old swords, like edge inconsistency, lose hilt fittings, weight, balance, etc.
The only problem I have with them is their lack of historical sword verity, especially when it comes the the 11th and 12th century's.

And here is the link to their blog.

http://darksword-armory.com/sword-blog/

Deus vult!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I look at the statistics of many of the DSA models featured at Kult of Athena (perhaps older designs?) I see little to no distal taper, and too much weight. Over at DSA, you are offered blunt and sharpened versions of the same sword. Most of these seem to have been designed as blunts, which won't be very functional cutters, etc. once they have been sharpened. The geometry that makes a good blunt, won't work well as a sharp, and vice versa. A sword should be designed as one or the other, not both.
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
When I look at the statistics of many of the DSA models featured at Kult of Athena (perhaps older designs?) I see little to no distal taper, and too much weight. Over at DSA, you are offered blunt and sharpened versions of the same sword. Most of these seem to have been designed as blunts, which won't be very functional cutters, etc. once they have been sharpened. The geometry that makes a good blunt, won't work well as a sharp, and vice versa. A sword should be designed as one or the other, not both.

Mr. Hooper, I understand what you mean. A lot of the swords on KOA and their website are their old designs, that are still in production.
But I use all of my swords for WMA purposes. But I do have two sharps from DSA, but one is an old model, it is heavy and not really good for cutting, the second is a two year old great sword based on a sword found in the river Thames. It is rather uncreatively called the "Two handed Templar Medieval sword". But I find it a good cutter.
If you go to their website and look at their new reenactment weapons they have some decent taper, but they are not for cutting.
But I do believe DSA swords are mostly geared towards blunt fighting. so I don't recommend them for cutting, just WMA.
But they are still very good for sub $500 range swords, And are one of the best choices for people on a budget(myself included). But they a continuing to improve their products all the time. So maybe in a few years they will be good cutters also.
So if you want a sword for reenactment fighting that will last a very long time, go with a DSA.
And for sub $500 swords for cutting, I would just say get a Tinker-Hanwei, not DSA.

Deus vult!
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

People who have bought DSA in the past have a sour taste in the mouth. I speak from personal experience. DSA would have to send me free of charge a decent product before I would buy from them. If they did that successfully, I would buy that decent product. I'm not holding my breath.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would maintain that there are a variety of products in the sub $500 field that will outclass a DSA handily. No matter the intended use.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Ballantyne wrote:
I would maintain that there are a variety of products in the sub $500 field that will outclass a DSA handily. No matter the intended use.

I second that opinion.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Ballantyne wrote:
People who have bought DSA in the past have a sour taste in the mouth. I speak from personal experience. DSA would have to send me free of charge a decent product before I would buy from them. If they did that successfully, I would buy that decent product. I'm not holding my breath.

Mr. Ballantyne, I am very sorry you have had a bad experience with DSA. But I was only stating my opinion, my personal experience with DSA has been very good. I use my swords for western martial arts, so they take a beating on a regular basis, and My DSA's have held up exceptionally well. So for a sword I am to eventually beat the hell out of, they are good for what I recommended them as, a sub $500 sword good for WMA. Why? Because you won't feel bad for beating them up, unlike say, a Del Tin, (just an example) which I don't very much like the idea of battering one of those to pieces.
All I said was my opinion, and that they are doing a good job of improving their products from what they once were.

Deus vult!
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have owned several of their swords and even one of their most recent offerings. I have also passed these swords along to others. They make some unique designs and the blades were very tough on the ones I owned. What made me pass the swords along to other people for no cost or almost no cost were the blades. They were just not anywhere close to being functional cutting swords and the blades were not made to do so. I do think they are improving but are not there yet. The VA line is currently much better and certain Del Tin models offer good choices as well. My opinion and just my opinion is their current models are beaters and fall short in design and function for the price they charge. I am also looking forward to changes they are making to improve their product line. They recently showed a video of the owner with a blade doing a flex test that looked promising.
Non Timebo Mala

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New sword magazine: Blade's Edge
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic