Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fascinating Site for 16th & 17th C. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz, your the king baby! Those are some great pics ! Excuse me I think I have to go to the bathroom now.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz, yet again, Great Stuff! Thanks for posting that link. Do you know any of the background on those "iron maidens" though? Can't be armour, no articulation, but they look pretty cool. What the heck are they then? Are they actually 16th/17th Century?

Thanks again, and more is always better!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
"Do you know any of the background on those "iron maidens" though? Can't be armour, no articulation, but they look pretty cool. What the heck are they then? Are they actually 16th/17th Century?"

Gordon

It was an artist exhibition "Dress and armour".

Idea, concept and realisation: Birgit Hutter, Esther Geremus.

A project by Graz 2003 - Cultural Capital of Europe.

Datum: 10.05.2003 - 26.10.2003
Place: Landeszeughaus (Armoury)

Link to program:

http://access.graz03.at/servlet/sls/Tornado/w...G_Projekte

Interesting stuff, but I liked the way armoury looks without the woman's clothing. Razz

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Blaz!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan / Gordon,

There are a number of complete harnesses that have been deposited in the armoury over the centuries,some as late as 1814 !,made by various armourers,perhaps most notably that of Karl II of Inner Austria,by Conrad Richter,Augsburg c.1565-70.There are several tilting harnesses there as well,so indeed not everything in the armoury is 'contract' armour.
I believe that the earliest complete harness now in the armoury is one made by Hans Maysetter in about 1510,this is a fluted harness in the Maximillian style.
I hope that this perhaps answers your query ,at least in part.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Jessica S.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hithere,

wasn't online for a few days. I think the CD is really worth its price. You can see a lot of detail there and its a easy-to-handle virtual museum.

If fire does not cure it, a sword will.
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jessica S. wrote:
Hithere,

wasn't online for a few days. I think the CD is really worth its price. You can see a lot of detail there and its a easy-to-handle virtual museum.

I think I'm missing it but where can I buy the CD?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are three photos on the main page. The top photo shows the luxury edition or something. The photo at 5:00 shows a video. The photo at 7:00 is the basic CD ROM, for 72.00 Euro. Click on that image for details.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My brilliant wife surprised me with a copy of the Landeszeughaus CD-ROM. It's fantastic, the next best thing to visiting the museum. There are many features, but the highlight is the virtual museum. You can tour all of each floor, either alone or guided by a narrator, and turn 360 degrees at any given point. You're literally seeing everything in the museum. Separate features cover swords, firearms, armour and staff weapons, with catalogs of photos for each subject, and each photo accompanied by explanatory text with links to definitions of terms. Other features include the ability to view armour in three dimensions, a video of a horseman getting into his armour, historical context and artwork, biographies, military organization, information on food and drink and a host of other aspects of life in the period. Amazing! My only complaint is that the photos can't be enlarged and the sword and polearm images are relatively small. You'll love the dozens of pistol photos, though. The pistols are compact enough that they can be shown larger, so details are visible. You can get pretty close to the objects in the virtual tour–close enough to see larger details. If you want to get inches from a particular object and study it in finest detail, you'll need a plane ticket to Vienna and a train ticket down to Graz

This CD-ROM is not easy to get in the U.S., apparently. My wife had to order it from Amazon.de and have it shipped to our university's English campus. My parents picked it up for her when passing through London. You may find this troublesome to acquire, but it's worth trying, and I say that as a non-German speaker. If you speak/read German and study this period, you MUST have it. Maybe some of the European regulars on this forum would be willing to serve as middlemen....

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa! Eek!

Great pics! Keep 'em coming. Big Grin

Have they got any Ottoman Turkish stuff there BTW?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think they have any in Graz. Kunsthistoriches in Vienna would be the better bet for that. In fact, I'm almost sure Vienna has a good bit of Turkish stuff left over from the siege. But in Graz you'll see plenty of evidence of cultural overlap. Hungarian arms and armour, in particular, show some Turkish influence (sabers, helmets).
-Sean

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I don't think they have any in Graz. Kunsthistoriches in Vienna would be the better bet for that. In fact, I'm almost sure Vienna has a good bit of Turkish stuff left over from the siege. But in Graz you'll see plenty of evidence of cultural overlap. Hungarian arms and armour, in particular, show some Turkish influence (sabers, helmets).

Thanks Happy.

I am aware of the "Karlsruher Türkenbeute", they have a good collection of Turkish equipment, including more unusual items such as Bowcase, quivers, horse-trappings, banners and boots (!). I assumed that most of the captured Ottoman stuff went there. http://www.tuerkenbeute.de/sam/

I wondered with Graz being on the "front line" so to speak if they might have some Turkish armour too Big Grin.
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armour....Redhead....Armour....Redhead.. which to look at!

Gracious. That just overloaded my poor brain. Please put the redhead in the armour so I can look at both at once.

Still, I do have a serious question for those of you who know about this sort of thing.

In the second picture from the top, we see a VERY large number of Halberds.

I was always under the impression that the crescent moon blade was just for ceremonial purposes. Still, those look (if not sharp) certainly heavy enough to hit with... nonetheless, they don't look sharp.

So are they for practical purposes, or ceremonial ones? And if they are for ceremonial ones, why do they need about a thousand of them? Are they intended to hit with, but with more of a pickaxe rather then axe effect on target?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In this case, I'd say those are fully-functional infantry polearms. The spike looks to be reinforced and I think you're right about the "pick" effect of the blade points. There are some fine arms in the armoury, including some parade polearms, but the vast majority of the collection consists of munitions quality infantry arms.
-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fascinating Site for 16th & 17th C.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: