A Flail
Here's for your consideration - apologies for the quality of the photo, it's all I can do given my current (complicated) situation...
Again, a piece made with the History Market of Pontoise (in 2 days...) in mind.

A Flail, made after the one in the Viennese Rüstkammer (A 177, ca. 1515), although somewhat thinner. 60,5 cm for the haft, and the ball is 40 mm thick - and all hand filed from round stock.

The chain is, unfortunately, modern, as I had to take shortcuts due to time constraints - but it has been polished, and slightly hammered to shape (ie given strengthening the twist) ring by ring, all by hand.

Wood is oak, slightly darkened, and the langets (although not much visible on the picture) are thinner near the top end, as is regular on such construction.

The book also might be of some interest to those of you who can read French, as it is an in-depth study of the siege of Dijon in 1513, to which I contributed (on arms and armour...).

Cheers

Fab

PS perhaps more, and better pics will follow.

Attachment: 134.78 KB
[ Download ]
(I'm not using my own computer, an had some problems with the attached file...sorry...)
It looks very well constructed! Cool.

-Gregory
Wonderful, as always! I believe we have grown to expect good things from you Fabrice. I look forward to better pictures, especially of the details, which we can only glimpse in this photo.
As much as I love swords (a lot!) I really like seeing war hammers, maces and flails reproduced. The elegant lines on many of them and the brutal efficiency and versatility they have are very powerful, even just visually
Re: A Flail
Fabrice Cognot wrote:
Here's for your consideration - apologies for the quality of the photo, it's all I can do given my current (complicated) situation...
Again, a piece made with the History Market of Pontoise (in 2 days...) in mind.

A Flail, made after the one in the Viennese Rüstkammer (A 177, ca. 1515), although somewhat thinner. 60,5 cm for the haft, and the ball is 40 mm thick - and all hand filed from round stock.

The chain is, unfortunately, modern, as I had to take shortcuts due to time constraints - but it has been polished, and slightly hammered to shape (ie given strengthening the twist) ring by ring, all by hand.

Wood is oak, slightly darkened, and the langets (although not much visible on the picture) are thinner near the top end, as is regular on such construction.

The book also might be of some interest to those of you who can read French, as it is an in-depth study of the siege of Dijon in 1513, to which I contributed (on arms and armour...).

Cheers

Fab

PS perhaps more, and better pics will follow.

what is the height, and weight of the ball as well im curious about flails, specifically ones used by 10th century black sea horse nobles, but replicas give me at least some idea about dimensions of handles etc
The ball is about 70 mm im height, ring included, and as said 40 mm in diameter. I couldnt weight it though as I have no scale here, sorry...
lovely as ever Fabrice and great to see a repro of a flail - I don't think i have seen one before.

See you in Paris!

Tod
Thanks !

And see you there :) (that's great news)
WOW, that's a very elegant piece.

I believe it is the nicest modern flail reproduction I have seen.
As promised : better pic.

[ Linked Image ]
Looks great! This is one that I would love to see video of! I bet you can get it going pretty quick...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: