Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Movie: Kingdom of Heaven Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My statement applies to me as well, perhaps more to me that to anybody else in this discussion. Its a connection I never really made before for some reason.

I watched the movie with my family and never thought twice about all the inaccuracies and the intent behind the message at the time. I filtered it all because I wanted to see a histroy and sword movie so very much. I nerver thought about the fact that my son would take what he saw on the screen as the truth about the times and events, but he did. I fixed things by tlaking with him, but ho many parents do?

The thing is by excusing everthing as entertainment, and supporting it with my money at the box office, I'm making myself part of the problem. If I'm not very careful, at least with my family, I'm endorsing whatever new truth is being marketed. At least as far as many children are concerned, the truth is what they see on the screen when history is even remotely associated with the content. Although I wish it was not the case, for my child seeing, and not reading, is believing. Based on my experience with my son's friends, I think this is pretty common. It does not appear that we are raising a book loving generation. They do not look to books and libraries to find truth.

Anyway, reading this discussion is making me have second thoughts about my "its just entertainment" attitude. I'm wrestling with myself over whether I really should excuse and ignore these things, time after time after time.

All of this is, as I posted in brief form, interesting and ironic. Perhaps more importantly, it made me think. Perhaps sometimes a little preaching to the choir is not a complete waste of time?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

The thing is by excusing everthing as entertainment, and supporting it with my money at the box office, I'm making myself part of the problem.

Anyway, reading this discussion is making me have second thoughts about my "its just entertainment" attitude. I'm wrestling with myself over whether I really should excuse and ignore these things, time after time after time.

All of this is, as I posted in brief form, interesting and ironic. Perhaps more importantly, it made me think. Perhaps sometimes a little preaching to the choir is not a complete waste of time?

Joe,
My last post was an attempt to get people to do more than just gripe about the film. There's a lot of activistic talk here. But, you can't be an activist without activity. Happy

There are things we can do if we don't like the situation. Here are suggestions:

-Don't see the movie(s). Tell your friends not to, either
-Go see the movie, them discuss with other people who've seen it what wasn't correct
-Try to educate the public in general on history

The point for me is: Hollywood isn't going to change their mind, philosophies or methodologies. Trying to get them to do so is a waste of energy. Instead, try to help the public understand what history was; try to undo the Hollywood-ification of history if you're upset about it. There are a lot of people in this thread upset about the film. I question how much, besides complaining, is being done about it. I'd rather see people direct their energies toward things they can change....

And with this, I really am done with this thread. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: kingdom of heaven         Reply with quote

Hollywood pays attention to money. By not paying to see the movies, eventually they will get the message.
Hank Reinhardt
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hollywood doesn't know why you don't go see a movie. If a movie like Kingdom of Heaven tanks at the box office the execs might say 'Hmmm, big epics aren't selling these days. Oh well, let's start pumping out more romantic comedies. I hear J Lo is available. Let's make Maid in Manhattan 2.'

I think it's a better idea to see the movie and then try to educate people about it. After seeing a movie I always talk about with friends. And if I know about an inaccuracy in the film I'll mention it. Like Chad says, if it really bothers you then try and find a wider audience than the friends or family whom you saw the movie with.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:

I think it's a better idea to see the movie and then try to educate people about it. After seeing a movie I always talk about with friends. And if I know about an inaccuracy in the film I'll mention it. Like Chad says, if it really bothers you then try and find a wider audience than the friends or family whom you saw the movie with.

Today we have the opportunity to support another of these movies - Tristan and Isolde is in theatres. Ridley Scott is one of the producers. It is set in Britain and Ireland circa 600 AD. In the picture below, Tristan is holding a Viking style sword. That shows that they are trying a little bit. Instead of being off by only a couple of hundred years, they could have given him a type XII or an XVIII.

Attachment: 18.06 KB
TRISTAN1.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: kingdom of heaven         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:
Hollywood pays attention to money. By not paying to see the movies, eventually they will get the message.

Absolutely! And perhaps more powerful is when people pay money for the films that are improving in the directions you'd like to see movies go.

Chad Arnow wrote:
My last post was an attempt to get people to do more than just gripe about the film. There's a lot of activistic talk here. But, you can't be an activist without activity.

Chad is right in that these topics are interesting on sites like this, but they're not going to be effective as it is sort of like preaching to the choir.

I made a site called myArmoury.com that I use to bring history to the masses. This is my "action part of activist" or my attempt at putting my money where my mouth is. If others are concerned about getting accurate info out there, I am more than happy to consider publishing and helping create any article they should want to submit.

Joe Fults wrote:
The thing is by excusing everthing as entertainment, and supporting it with my money at the box office, I'm making myself part of the problem. If I'm not very careful, at least with my family, I'm endorsing whatever new truth is being marketed.

This is so true. I mentioned before that while movies are primarily entertainment, they share the same underlying power of other products of media: the ability to convey a director or studio message. This is the very definition of bias, as they have a clear vested interest. In this topic, this has been called "propaganda" and that term probably isn't too far off. I've never expected movies not to be this way, as they always have been. (And why would they not be?) Our role, as a potential audience, is to support projects that fit both our entertained needs and our belief system, and not support those that do not. Your word endorsing is right-on.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apart from the fact that they got lots of things wrong in this movie (did I say lots? *g*) I'd like to point out a few other weaknesses of that movie:

Instead of giving Bloom the role they could have given it to Stegen Segal. Given Bloom's rather poor and static performance I don't think anybody would have noticed it *g*

The script is full of those cheesy one-liners like "who are you watching?" "A Knight *sad and longing face*" Razz

Lots of stereotypes there, even if they had left the politically correct agenda out.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Apart from the fact that they got lots of things wrong in this movie (did I say lots? *g*) I'd like to point out a few other weaknesses of that movie:

Instead of giving Bloom the role they could have given it to Stegen Segal. Given Bloom's rather poor and static performance I don't think anybody would have noticed it *g*

The script is full of those cheesy one-liners like "who are you watching?" "A Knight *sad and longing face*" Razz

Lots of stereotypes there, even if they had left the politically correct agenda out.

I think we have to take the film for what it is; a Hollywood Movie, i.e. an entertaining fiction loosely based on history and influenced by Sir Walter Scott's novel "The Talisman", the same as Hollywood's more recent "Memoirs of a Geisha" a film made in California, starring chinese and Malaysian actors, based on a novel by an American man from Boston. If we can do that then we can sit back and enjoy it. The only problem with that approach is that the poor old general public doesn't know any better and because Hollywood doesn't put a paragraph at the beginning of the film saying "This is a work of fiction only very loosely on historical events", the poor old general public thinks that it reflects real historical truth.

If you want innaccuracies, some were downright inexplicable. For some reason the studio, or Scott or the scriptwriters decided to change the names of historial characters. Why? What purpose did that serve? The character is clearly still there so why change his name? For example Count Raymond of Tripoli was rechristened "Tiberias", did they think that "Raymond" was a wussy name? Even more liberties are taken with Salah-ed-Din Yusef's (Saladin) commanders, Taqi-ed-Din Umar although he appears in several scenes is left unnamed, he's just "the young Hawkish one". "Nasir" the character played by Alexander Siddiq is more or less based on Salah-ed-Din's other main commander, Muzaffar-ed-Din Goqbori, so why rename him?

At another point someone mention's that Salah-ed-Din's army was 200,000 strong! No medieval armies were that big, it was just impossible. Can you imagine the logistics of keeping an army like that watered and fed in an arid mainly desert region like the Middle-East, especially when you take servants and other camp followers into account? Salah-ed-Din's capital Cairo had a population of around 250,000 in the 13th and 14th centuries, this army was bigger than the population of a major capital city! With that many people in close proximity to each other you wouldn't need to fight it, it would get killed off by diseases like typhoid or cholera! The fact is the biggest armies Salah-ed-Din could ever raise was 30,000-40,000 men, and that only for brief campaigns. After a few months the Turcoman and Bedouin tribesmen (who would have only joined for the loot anyway) would be wandering off to see how their flocks of sheep are doing. The religious volunteers will be leaving to get back to their families and day jobs, the provincial contigents will start worrying about their provinces descending into banditry and chaos while most of the fighting men are away and will drifting off to go back and check on things. The core of Saladin's army, the professional full-time soldiers, was only about 8000-10,000 men, the rest were temporary.

However if you take the film as a work of fiction, a Hollywood yarn, then it's fairly entertaining, just sit sit back and enjoy it. Happy
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the subject of Tristan and Isolde, they cut the love potion from the story, which tells me they're not trying.

I've been thinking about the nature of storytelling lately. I've come to the conclusion that while movies are, in fact, mere entertainment, the movie industry has a responsibility to tell an accurate story, or at least one that doesn't blatantly violate the spirit of the original. Not just for history, but for stories like the Iliad as well. To warp history in the fundamental ways that they do is really a form of libel, as these were real people who led actual lives and probably cared somewhat about the impact that they had on history. Take Braveheart, for example. Imagine going back in time and telling Queen Isabella, "Hey, the way we tell it, you slept with William Wallace!" I think she might take issue with that. And then we can go tell Robert the Bruce, "Yeah, you're a total wimp in our version! Totally outclassed by Wallace." What do you think his response would be?

I won't even get into the sacrilegious pile of dung that is Troy, since that would just make me angry, but to tell that story without the gods is like filming The Ten Commandments and having Moses coming down from the mountain and saying, "Yeah, these are my Ten Things You Really Shouldn't Do. I came up with them all by myself. Now let's vote on them!" See the problem? Even with a bare facade of accuracy, the spirit of the story is totally crushed and the entire point of the story is removed.

I'm not really trying to be a purist. Obviously historical events will differ according to which account one reads, but reasonable people could study these accounts and make a fairly good guess. Not perfect, but at least in the ballpark. What I hate is when they take the names of people who can no longer speak for themselves and completely disregard the historical account altogether, or warp it deliberately. In our ancestors time, storytelling (not just epic poetry) was considered sacred. Stories were how you told the deeds of your people to your children, passed on beliefs, taught moral lessons and remembered the names of your fathers. That's an incredibly powerful thing and I would say that we've been very irresponsible with that power. Hollywood is more than free to make bad movies with historical themes, but it would be nice if they'd write their own for a change, rather than simply plundering the graves and spirits of our ancestors for instant and cheap crowd appeal. Since they're just being lazy and greedy (and dealing in twisted magic, by our ancestors' standards), I find myself less and less able to excuse them.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I totally agree with Hisham Gaballa and Sam Barris here. Couldn't have put it better.

Just one little thought: Aren't the real stories interesting and thrilling enough? Why do they have to rape history all the time?
Troy (although being not real history) was really a worst case scenario. I had high hopes for the film since Wolfgang Petersen used to learn Greek at school and also read the Iliad. He should have known better. Well, there's a lot of time and space between the time when he shot Das Boot (his last really good movie) and Troy. Sorry, rant over now *g*

Maybe I'm just too picky but I really would prefer a Kingdom of Heaven that is at least a bit closer to the facts and stays away from such clichees.
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
I totally agree with Hisham Gaballa and Sam Barris here. Couldn't have put it better.

Just one little thought: Aren't the real stories interesting and thrilling enough? Why do they have to rape history all the time?
Troy (although being not real history) was really a worst case scenario. I had high hopes for the film since Wolfgang Petersen used to learn Greek at school and also read the Iliad. He should have known better. Well, there's a lot of time and space between the time when he shot Das Boot (his last really good movie) and Troy. Sorry, rant over now *g*

Maybe I'm just too picky but I really would prefer a Kingdom of Heaven that is at least a bit closer to the facts and stays away from such clichees.

I suppose Hollywood is just following a long tradition of playing fast and loose with historical facts. In my post above I mentioned Sir Walter Scott, arguably the inventor of the historical novel. Yet in his books, such as Ivanhoe he also takes a lot of liberties with historical facts. Even Shakespeare in his history plays like Henry V and Richard III is delibarately inaccurate, mainly to please his Royal patrons.

As I said it's not the inaccuracy that bugs me, even if it is occasionally totally pointless (I mean why change the Iliad?), its the fact that Hollywood doesn't give you a warning that this is fiction.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Take Braveheart, for example. Imagine going back in time and telling Queen Isabella, "Hey, the way we tell it, you slept with William Wallace!" I think she might take issue with that.

Yes. Especially considering she was only a couple of years old at the time.

No surprise though. When approached concerning the inaccuracies in Braveheart Randall Wallace, the script-writer, simply replied: "I'm an author, not an historian." Happy
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Sam Barris wrote:
Take Braveheart, for example. Imagine going back in time and telling Queen Isabella, "Hey, the way we tell it, you slept with William Wallace!" I think she might take issue with that.

No surprise though. When approached concerning the inaccuracies in Braveheart Randall Wallace, the script-writer, simply replied: "I'm an author, not an historian." Happy

Which is why "historical" films should come with a health warning! Big Grin
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An organized boycott would be the only voice who could be heard in hollywood, producers are just sensitive to money.

If America had a ten percent citizens of north african muslim ancestry like France it could be even worst.

I guess there are organization in the US (well, actually i know which ones) who would gladly endorse a boycott of such movies.

Hollywood producers would immediately put the damper on the historical distortions that are operated by self assumed intellectual screenwriters and directors who actually reason by a still bolshevik mindset.

BWT, I grew up with John Wayne - John Ford movies and I still consider that America to be the true one.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

And not in England yet, if memory serves.

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
(I mean why change the Iliad?)

I asked myself that, as well. Was anything gained by it? Were they really so blinded by hubris to think that they could improve on Homer? Bah! The fools.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Sam Barris wrote:

Which is why "historical" films should come with a health warning! Big Grin

Yeah. And then some! LOL.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

No. I think she was still safely tucked away in France at the time.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Sam Barris wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Perhaps he tarried in France and seduced her on his way back from Jerusalem and Rome. Wink

Pax,
Sam Barris

Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Sam Barris wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Perhaps he tarried in France and seduced her on his way back from Jerusalem and Rome. Wink

Eeeww...
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did get some enjoyment from the movie, mostly because I was just starved to see anything new with sword play. On that note plus the topic of inaccuracies in the film;

At the early part of the movie there is a "first lesson" in sword play in which the techniques appear to be two handed longsword in Italian/ German. The Baron's sword looks very similar to Albion's Count/Steward. Given that this is supposed to be close to 1100 A.D., wouldn't this style of fighting and sword have been very rare and radical for that time period?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Movie: Kingdom of Heaven
Page 15 of 17 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: