What to build out of a blade?
Hello i have two 80% finished spring steel blade that i want make swords out of. but the problem are that i can´t decide what to make. the blades are based on the blade of my military sami knife.

The blades are 50cm long.

My alternatives is

: big sami knife.
: grid into gladius
: straight blade falchion

Do you guys have some ideas ?

Attachment: 193.6 KB
[ Download ]
I think they would make a nice, big seax or a Bowie-style knife. :D ........McM
Yes :) maybe one seax and one short sword. I have a theory that the sami knife is one of the closest relatives to the seax.
The classic ones have no finger guard. Only brass around the grip, the sami people believed the brass protected them from cutting them self on the blade. "Paganism".
it was also believed that the steel of the blade was able to heal wounds.
Even a Germanic messer style would be good....or just hilted very simply as a big bushcraft knife/machete. :D ...McM
A really big Sami knife sounds good. Unless the blade is too wide (like wider than you want the grip), in which case, a falchion is a fine idea.

A commercial Sami knife of similar size: http://ultimathule.fi/en/leuku-lapp-knives/68...u-280.html
I would try a confederate style d-guard bowie
I'll go for a short falchion, or a storta (but hilt work would be more demanding).
I would agree with storta (purely personal preference, plus one of my own projects it the pipeline, so it´d be interesting to exchange inspirations and experiences). But you´d need to do some modifications on the blade, and as Julian mentioned, work on hilt is more difficult and might involve some welding.
have you ever seen older German styled wibatt knives? (sorry I think I spelled it wrong) they are griped like a Bauernwehr and usually have a nagel like them, but they often have a big meat cleaver like blade. I've often seen them described as messer in old trouse kits at auction websites.

I grew interested in them a little while back I wanted to build my own hunting trouse about 6 months ago until I got side tracked.

Attachment: 5.24 KB
thCA0PJAIG.jpg
quick reference for what i'm thinking of.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: