Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sture Sword arrives Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Ok, Russ, so I am a little slow...

But, seriously, I view the Svante as a good representative of the sword company we have built -- and it took some time to get here -- with the talents not only of the incredible Peter Johnsson, but everyone here, from Leif who has learned how to make molds on his own, to Eric running the R&D, to Steve on the programming, to Jason and the complex hollowgrinding, and the amazing talents of John Gage, John Margeson and (soon again I hope) Tristan Waddington in the cutler shop.

The Albion side of the operation now really has a "showpiece" (that stands out even among the other incredible NextGen and Museum swords) to rival the Atlantean on the Film Swords side and the custom swords by Jody. The Svante has been our "Holy Grail" if you will, and to finally be at a place where we can faithfully make these is the realization of a dream.

We will never make or sell a lot of Svante swords, but it will always be there as a symbol of what we can do.

Amy and I are very proud to work with people that can reproduce such an amazing piece, in the midst of everything else they do every day.

Best,

Howy

Sorry Howy somehow I missed your post earlier. It's very much okay there's a saying about good things and those that wait... Happy I can say that this one is definitely worth it. I'm in the midst of writing the review now. Of course Peter said some fascinating things in his post and I'm looking into them now...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Somehow, I was never terribly excited by the Svante sword from the pictures on the Albion site. I am afraid that the views here, for some reason, have started me down the road to an expensive obsession Eek!

Well don't I know it...sword collecting is expensive especially when a stainless steel wallhanger will simply not do it for you!

The Svante is a sword that pictures simply cannot do justice. Like I said, it is an important sword for many reason. It is a sword that can be the center piece of a collection. But again, pictures simply cannot convey the intricate details of a sword like this.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like I'm going to have to try and convince Chad or Nathan to buy one of these before the next roundtables here in Ohio. Big Grin Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Sounds like I'm going to have to try and convince Chad or Nathan to buy one of these before the next roundtables here in Ohio. Big Grin Big Grin

Finances will keep me from buying it, unless you want to give me some cash, Joe. Happy

Maybe Mike will send one to the next RT, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll post these here since this is the best discussion of the sword. These details are from Grunewald's depiction of Saints Erasmus and Maurice. Note the wonderful details on the sword at far right--the figure inset in the pommel, chappe, suspension, tacks, etc. Painting dated 1520-1525.

Attachment: 149.92 KB
grunewald.gif

Attachment: 140.46 KB
grunewald2.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wondered in another thread how the figures of the saints set in the pommel niches were oriented. From that painting it looks like their heads are close to the top edge of the pommel. So they are right side up when the sword is sheathed at one's side.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I wondered in another thread how the figures of the saints set in the pommel niches were oriented. From that painting it looks like their heads are close to the top edge of the pommel. So they are right side up when the sword is sheathed at one's side.

Yes, and there's a figure in each of the visible facets. Maybe none on the back?

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sture Sword arrives
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: