myUS getting twitchy about shipping swords ... again
Hi all,

Just a heads up: remailing service myUS are getting twitchy about sending swords again.

A year ago, they stopped sending them, citing a review of their policies, but eventually relented, and we've had a year of no problems.

However, I recently went to send a *blunt feder* and got this reply:

Quote:
We have identified an item in one of your packages that MyUS cannot ship based on one or more of the following reasons:
(a) the item(s) are prohibited for export under our shipping policy
(b) the item(s) are controlled under US export law
(c) the item(s) are prohibited per the import laws in your country

For more information, please see our Restricted & Prohibited Items page.

I've written back to them pointing out that blunts swords - and even sharp ones - are not prohibited for export under US law, prohibited by import laws here, and do not appear in their list of restricted items.

I also let them know that last time they did this, they caused a lot of hassle for the sword collecting community, and ran the risk of losing a lot of business.

I'm waiting to hear back from them. Until we know they've cleared this up, it might be safer to not have swords sent to them - they're currently stating that the two options for swords they receive are to return them to the original sender (for a fee) or destroy them.

Mark T
mUS and swords
Thanks for the heads up Mark

Given that those of us in the antipodes have few choices and these folk are my main shipper, I will also write to them directly and ask politely, noting that this is why I joined.

I do know that they may have had a couple of hassles at this end - there were some Customs challenges in NZ recently. All fixed but it did take some time and work so maybe that has contributed

cheers
mike
Hi Mike
what were the challanges from NZ Customs??????
Phil
Hi Mike,

Thanks for following this up with myUS.

I think when they first made this policy change a year ago, they'd also just been raided by US authorities, which might have contributed to their skittishness.

No doubt that people wishing to ship problematic items might want to use remailing services, but given that myUS open every package they receive, and that export laws are clear, and import laws are policed, it doesn't make sense for them to make policy decisions like this on the run.

Given the large response last time, and that they saw reason, it's odd that they do it again.

In my case, the sword was in their care *before* they made their policy change, so it's pretty poor process. And that's in addition to swords not actually appearing in their revised restricted items list ... and that the one I am wanting to send is a blunt feder.

Anyway, the more of us who contact them, the better!
Shipping swords to NZ
Hi folks

Just in follow up:

@Phil. I have discovered that the process is little different depending on whether you import via the normal post or using the myUS/FedEx or DHL route and it has to do with whether you are acting through an agent or not - as myUS is.
NZ has introduced a new model of Border management. When I used an agent I had to register under Trade Single Window. Apparently now that I have, I'm good to go for the future (I'm in the system :eek: ).

They also seemed to need a fair amount of verification - I was importing an Albion Fiore. Mike Sigman was awesome (just before his terrible news, poor chap) but as much as anything it seemed to be time to verify and validate. Not sure if it was cost, use , location shipped from or some combination.

Can I say that this is not a rant against the 'revenoo'. The laws are the laws and I have no problem working to them.

NZ doesn't normally have a problem with importing sharp swords. Daggers, yes. I needed Police permission for that - all good.

I HAVE actually struck a similar problem importing blunts via myUS once before. Some email exchanges did seem to sort it out.

@Mark: I note there are some comments on their website now about change of process. I shall let you all know the result of my email conversation.

cheers
mike
myUS out of commission
Hi folks

Well, here's the news

Quote:

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your email.

At this time we are not able to ship knives, swords, replica swords/knives/guns, or items that resemble these items but are considered toys. We are currently reviewing with the carriers if we are able to transport these items. If this changes and we are able to ship these items we will let you know.

I do apologize for any inconvenience.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

So myUS is not an option for the moment. Interesting that they are saying the issue is with carriers so assume FedEx and DHL, as that is who they use.
Odd as FedEx seemed fine about it recently.

Who else have people tried in shipping downunder or elsewhere?
I looked at Shipito and their policy didn't restrict so I will be following up with them.

cheers
mike
Re: myUS out of commission
Mike O'Hara wrote:

Who else have people tried in shipping downunder or elsewhere?
I looked at Shipito and their policy didn't restrict so I will be following up with them.

cheers
mike

Hi Mike,

My shipment just arrived in Singapore last week.
I'm using FedEx through stackry.com so I could recommend them as myUS alternative (I have myUS account as well and encountered the same problem with yours).

I had contacted shipito before... Their official answer is they can only carry 5" or less (even though some members at SBG have regular sword shipments to Australia using shipito without problem) - However I'm little bit concerned if they don't officially support it - unlike stackry.com who welcome the shipment.

Cheers!

Li
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting that here. You received more detail than me - after three emails to ask for specifics, they just told me 'it's against policy' with no explanation of what the policy was, or why it would exclude a blunt federschwert.

So what they sent you helps make sense of this, even though it's absurd. :D

Li: Thanks for the lead on stackry.com. What were their prices like compared to myUS?
Mark T wrote:

Li: Thanks for the lead on stackry.com. What were their prices like compared to myUS?

Hi Mark,

If using rate calculator, myus.com price is lower than stackry.com

However stackry.com total cost is much lower than the rate calculator indicated (my total is around $90). Maybe I got a discount or something, I'm not sure... but I'm not complaining! :D

According to FedEx tracking system, my package detail is:

Service FedEx International Priority
Dimensions 49x9x9 in.
Total shipment weight 6 lbs / 2.72 kgs
Hi Li,

Thanks for that. From past experience, and without using the myUS calculator, that does seem like a much cheaper price for that size.

Great news - thanks!
This just in from myUS:

Quote:
While our guide makes no direct reference to knives or swords, such items can be reasonably considered as ‘weapons’ and therefore covered under the prohibition on weapons as noted on our website. The list of weapons and other military items ends with “Please note that this list is not exhaustive.”

So, while it technically might not be inconsistent with what was sent to Mike, it seems they don't have a clear line of what to tell customers. This could just be bureaucratic incompetence, or perhaps means they're in a similar situation as last year, where a knee-jerk policy change was enacted inconsistently, and eventually went away.

I guess only time will tell ... but for me, in the meantime, I'm very, very close to just cancelling my account and taking my business elsewhere. The quality of information in their customer service has been appalling.
MyUS Post
Thanks for this information, Mark

Shame, because their prices were reasonable.

I'm intending to directly email a few, including the place Li suggested, and get something from them on shipment of swords.

Will let you know.

cheers
mike
MyUS is shipping swords again!
MyUS.com is accepting sword shipment again. Last week my package from A&A arrived at MyUS.com warehouse and DHL delivered it to destination early this week.

Just to let you all know that myus.com has reversed its position (again) and hopefully this time for good.
Hi Li,

Great news! Craig had given me heads up that you were testing it out again. I might contact them first to get written confirmation first, and then try again.

Thanks for letting us know - myUS is such an important service.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: