Parade Harness "alia romana" of Filippo Negroli
myArmoury.com features an Anatomy of Armour series of articles. At the time of this post, there are two installments of this series. In one installment with Specimens from the 16th Century, a parade harness is featured that can be attributed to Emperor Charles V (unsubstantiated). This harness is a splendid creation by Filippo Negroli of Milan and is in a style reminiscent of Roman attire.

Roman-Style Armour, Bartolomeo Campi
Pesaro, dated 1546
Steel, gold, silver, and brass
Weight. 44lb, 6oz (20,170 grams)
Real Armeria, Patrimonio Nacional, Madrid (A188)

Here are some additional photos of this fantastic piece:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

Click any above image to view the full-sized photograph
Parade Harness "alia romana" of Filippo Negroli
That harness looks gorgeous! :eek:
[ Linked Image ]
Re: Parade Harness "alia romana" of Filippo Negrol
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
That harness looks gorgeous! :eek:

Got to disagree with you bud. I honestrly think it's gawdy shows how much of a Romanophile Filippo Negroli was to wear that.
You say that like it is a bad thing...
For its time and purpose I think it's pretty amazing.

Outside of that context I think it's silly. :)
It's gaudy and a bit over decorated, I think, but when you look closely at the breast and back and notice musculature is uninterrupted on the multiple plates, it makes you really appreciate the skill that went in to making it, and the power and money Filippo must have commanded. I didn't even notice the joins at first.

Plus, mustached lion pauldrons with pteruge teeth? Super fine!
Kai Lawson wrote:
It's gaudy and a bit over decorated, I think, but when you look closely at the breast and back and notice musculature is uninterrupted on the multiple plates, it makes you really appreciate the skill that went in to making it, and the power and money Filippo must have commanded. I didn't even notice the joins at first.

Plus, mustached lion pauldrons with pteruge teeth? Super fine!

Good point, it's gawdy armor, but finely made gawdy armour.It's shows allot show much power and wealth someone has that they walk around looking an anachronistic fanboyish clown and be admired for it intsead of being laughed at.
I like the fake maille up at the the top/around the neck. Completely fooled me. It's painted on.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: