Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Persian Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:
Eric S wrote:

I have couple of these too, they are fairly rare in Afghanistan.

David, there used to be a whole lot more in Afghanistan but now they have been bought up and sent to the US and Europe. WTF?!

Quote:
Officers of Yakub Khan, the Amir of Afghanistan, May 1879, holding pulwar swords.

Eric S

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Persian Sword         Reply with quote

Cliff Peiffer wrote:
Greetings,

I have an opportunity to purchase what is described as a Persian Blade, antique hand forged c1700.

I would very much appreciate any assistance in authenticating this sword, authenticating its age and possible value.

Look forward to your response and regards

Cliff

Cliff I think the seller is asking to much for the sword unless there is something special about the blade, like if it were made of damascus steel, I would look around a little, you can probably find one for less with a scabbard included.
Bernard Delor

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is not that rare to find some Indian blades made from wootz steel. In such a case it is worth the price. But unfortunately I can't tell from your photos.
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Persian Sword         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
The tulwar is often designated as an Indo-Persian sword rather than Persian. When kings ruled Persia the only sword they carry was the shamshir, not the tulwar.

But Persian made blades were exported to other countries, the seller specifically has it tagged as a "antique handforged Persian blade c 1700" and not a "Persian sword" which is confusing. I would guess that the blade may actually be an old European blade which were used quite often in Indian swords.

Eric,

I am new to the world of Indian/Persian/Afghan arms, but I am curious why you would think this is a European blade. To my far from knowledgeable eyes, it certainly appears to be an indigenous blade. The overall shape and the fullers seem to point to a native style.

I am familiar with the Indian use of the 1796 LCS blades in particular (which I believe I own an example of one). Please explain why you suggest a European origin for this blade.

I also agree with Bernard that $395 would be a more than fair price for a wootz steel blade. One should keep in mind that it was common for blades and hilts to be switched out with these swords. I have noticed a huge variety in quality when looking at tulwars. Cliff's example looks like a decent one to me. More pictures would certainly be appreciated.

Travis

Travis
Eric S

PostPosted: Sun 13 Apr, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Persian Sword         Reply with quote

Travis Canaday wrote:

I am new to the world of Indian/Persian/Afghan arms, but I am curious why you would think this is a European blade. To my far from knowledgeable eyes, it certainly appears to be an indigenous blade. The overall shape and the fullers seem to point to a native style.

Travis, I am not quite sure what I was thinking when I wrote that....duhh. WTF?!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Persian Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: