Go to page 1, 2  Next

Show Us Your non-European weapons
All right folks, we have many "Show us Your..." threads centered on European items. I'd like to see things from outside Europe. If there's enough variety and interest, I'd love to see separate threads for katana, jians, etc.

I have absolutely nothing to contribute, since my collection is Euro-focused. :) But I still want to see what's out there.

So, please post away!
This should get rather interesting,
This is a lovely piece from Vince a few years back,

Attachment: 40.04 KB
Shamshir from vince evans.4.jpg

Attachment: 124.89 KB
Shamshir from vince evans.2.jpg

Two Maasai rungu (modern):

Moro barong c.1950:

Canaanite bronze duckbill axe by Jeroen Zuiderwijk:

Baka crossbow from the Congo, ;) selfmade of ash with a blackthorn bow, glued with birchtar, rawhide string and bamboo darts.

Attachment: 72.86 KB
P1040381.JPG

Attachment: 91.65 KB
P1040383.JPG

A nice Japanese Tanto from the late 1800's. Probably made for export.

Some of my Japanese swords. Sadly most of them are gone now.

Sirupate khukuri

Two Talibongs

Here are two of my favorites and a link were you can find hundreds of Indo-Persian and Japanese weapons. http://www.pinterest.com/samuraiantiques/world-weapons/

Ottoman yatagan/yataghan sword, 19 century or earlier. Very fine forged 27 inch long damascus steel blade were several rows of twisted steel bars are forge welded together to produce the pattern known as "Turkish Ribbon". Ivory grips with silver covered grip strap and bolsters. Brass mounted, leather covered original scabbard with spiral stitching. 27 inch blade with a 2 inch wide belly and T spine, total length including scabbard is 34 inches.

Yoroi doshi (armor piercing) tanto in aikuchi mount with lacquered and polished ray skin grip, signed by Soshu Masahiro, possibly the first generation Masahiro who worked circa 1455. The nagasa (cutting edge) measures 9+1/2", width at machi is 7/8" and thickness across the back of the spine is 9/16", this is an incredibly thick blade when compared to the average tanto.

[ Linked Image ]
I'm bit surprised how few posts have been posted in this thread, guess most MA folks are only Euro nuts. ;)

Most of my own collection is non-European stuff. And here are my two gems. Tachi is signed by Kuninobu and attributed to Nambokucho period (1332-1394), most likely this is from late Nambokucho, smith is unknown and province is unknown. Tanto is attributed to Shimada Sukemune and Taiei era (1521-1528).

My pics unfortunately never do proper justice to my blades. :(

[ Linked Image ]
pictures will follow but i currently possess

a pair of sai (modern, martial arts sparring grade)
decorative japanse forked arrowhead from CAS hanwei
a kendo competition grade shinai
some cheap black bokken from the local markets
a wushu grade chinese dao (which oddly has a very stiff forte but a very thin foible section... wierd.
i once possessed a chinese style steel ribbed martial arts grade fan but that is long gone

and i have a variety of japanese katana 'wallhangers and a couple of miscilaneous blades with a rough chinese influence but arnt really jian.
I will have pics later but I have a steel Iaito (blunt katana) and a machete I found at a flea market which seems to be home made some time ago.
Jussi Ekholm wrote:
Tachi is signed by Kuninobu and attributed to Nambokucho period (1332-1394), most likely this is from late Nambokucho, smith is unknown and province is unknown. My pics unfortunately never do proper justice to my blades. :(

Jussi, its hard photographing Japanese blades, your tachi looks nice (uncut?), what is the length of the cutting edge.

[ Linked Image ]
It's uncut, possibly small machi-okuri but there is still fumbari. Nagasa is 67,2 cm.
Jussi Ekholm wrote:
It's uncut, possibly small machi-okuri but there is still fumbari. Nagasa is 67,2 cm.

I was thinking that it may be machi-okuri but that is not unusual, a nice blade, you can see the fumbari, is it signed?.

Here is one that I have, possibly machi-okuri as well, early Muromachi, 71 cm/27.95in nagasa with tachi mei.

[ Linked Image ]
Indian
Some Indian swords and axes. One tulwar of a bunch. Two khanda-hilted swords, one single-edged, and the other double-edged. The double-edged one is longsword-sized. The top two axes are modern, the bottom one is old.

Attachment: 74.79 KB
indian1.jpg
Axes

Attachment: 77.54 KB
indian2.jpg
Khanda-hilted swords

Attachment: 51.01 KB
indian3.jpg
Tulwar
Chinese
Some Chinese weapons. One group of reproduction Bronze Age weapons, and one group of antiques, mostly 19th century. The small knife might be early 20th century (and could be American-made), and the right-hand jian (with the ribbed grip and ornamented fittings) is supposed to be early 19th century.

Attachment: 94.71 KB
chinese_ancient.jpg
Bronze Age Chinese

Attachment: 79.3 KB
chinese.jpg
19th century Chinese
An assortment!

Persian sword. Could work as a generic Middle Eastern sword, c. AD1000. Of course, a modern replica. Overweight ill-balanced clunker. Thinning the point half of the blade would improve matters.

Two swords from continental south-east Asia. A Thai dha/daab, with scabbard, and a Kachin dao (from Burma/Myanmar).

Some swords from Borneo. Two mandau: the bottom one is older, the top one with scabbard is perhaps mid/late 20th century. The 3rd sword is a modern parang nabur. Parang nabur are also found with Western-style guard and knucklebow. This parang nabur is an excellent cutting sword.

From Nepal, a kora (as it's usually called in English, but khunda or khuda are better romanisations).

From Mexico, an espada ancha. Espada ancha come in quite a few different varieties; the same term is used for single-edged swords with knucklebows.

From the southern Philippines, some classic Moro swords. Two kris, two full-sized barong, and a little barong. Note some repairs to the right-hand barong - the blade is wired to the hilt.

Attachment: 55.07 KB
persian.jpg
Persian/Middle-Eastern

Attachment: 93.94 KB
asian.jpg
Continental SE Asia

Attachment: 69.92 KB
borneo.jpg
Borneo

Attachment: 59.78 KB
nepal.jpg
Nepal

Attachment: 64.98 KB
mexican.jpg
Mexico

Attachment: 63.44 KB
moro.jpg
Moro
I think some other dedicated threads by region might be in order but here are a few items I have. A yataghan, a couple of Brazilian made punale, a spear that was likely Moro hafted as a dagger and a lance blade made by Chris Makin hafted in somewhat a Japanese fashion. I have posted early modern American swords in other threads.
i have more than a few pictures of these items. Just American military knives as a thread could be voluminous, or included in extant knife threads (just as example).

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 55.36 KB
aayatf.jpg

Attachment: 39.5 KB
aayat2.jpg

Attachment: 59.49 KB
AE b.jpg

Attachment: 60.32 KB
punale 002.jpg

Attachment: 70.32 KB
ln1.jpg

Attachment: 37.63 KB
newlance.jpg

Attachment: 16.48 KB
makin yari blade.JPG

Attachment: 115.73 KB
makin hafted 012.jpg

I like this thread (it seems custom made for me), but wonder... As it appears that people are posting antiques only... If my dozen-or-so custom repros of antiques can be posted here? I only own a single European style sword, to be perfectly honest, a Hanwei Tinker Single-hander for I:33 practice. And only a single antique now (the rest sold for HMB armour funds)... A Meiji-era Katana I keep in a lit display box on my bedhead.

I'm particularly proud of my WW2-era repro Dadao, which was forged with my shaved-off hair and finger/toenails in the fire... :) If you don't mind repros on this thread, I'll put it up...?
Bennison N wrote:
I like this thread (it seems custom made for me), but wonder... As it appears that people are posting antiques only... If my dozen-or-so custom repros of antiques can be posted here? I only own a single European style sword, to be perfectly honest, a Hanwei Tinker Single-hander for I:33 practice. And only a single antique now (the rest sold for HMB armour funds)... A Meiji-era Katana I keep in a lit display box on my bedhead.

I'm particularly proud of my WW2-era repro Dadao, which was forged with my shaved-off hair and finger/toenails in the fire... :) If you don't mind repros on this thread, I'll put it up...?

If you read through the descriptions you will see a lot of reproductions posted here.
The IMO most interesting of my "foreigners", a single edged sword from Bhutan. 18th-19th century.

Attachment: 104.09 KB
bhutan small.jpg

Attachment: 88.09 KB
pommel.jpg

Qing dao I made
Here are some pics of a dao I made myself. It is a goosequill design, based on some originals. Not a direct copy. It has about 1400 layers of 1075, W2, and 1020 in the outer portions, and a W2 core. It is sanmei.

I have a shorter (25" versus 28") willow leaf blade I am fitting out now.

hope you enjoy.

(I don't have this sword anymore, as it was bought by a friend and tai chi practitioner).

I have seen shuangxue (snow crystal patterns, i.e., hamons on originals). So, I took the liberty of putting one on this blade.

kc

Attachment: 138.45 KB
DSC03628.JPG

Attachment: 136.82 KB
DSC03629.JPG

Attachment: 138.17 KB
DSC03631.JPG

Attachment: 143.97 KB
DSC03519.JPG

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: