"Grave Find" by Pikula finally complete!
Last month I introduced a project that I was working on, http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=29682

I finally got the fittings overlaid with silver, cleaned up, and assembled. The results speak for themselves and I am quite pleased with piece as a whole. The overlay has a very authentic feel to it, is clean, but still has a very handmade feel to it. I particularly like to subtle contrast between the steel of the blade, collars, bars, peen block, and the fine silver of the guard, wire wrap, and pommel. I left the two channels on the pommel as blued steel to really stand out and complement the bars, which are visually split by the midrib of the blade. The peen block is actually one of my favorite details and really helps pull the hilt together and adds a lovely point of interest in my opinion.

Without further delay, here are some images of the final results.
Comments and thoughts are most welcome.

Attachment: 51.95 KB
DSCN3270.jpg

Attachment: 154.45 KB
DSCN3257.jpg

Attachment: 119.83 KB
DSCN3260.jpg

Attachment: 176.58 KB
DSCN3261.jpg

Attachment: 123.4 KB
DSCN3262.jpg

Attachment: 126.65 KB
DSCN3263 copy.jpg

WOW ! :eek: That is gorgeous, I love the contrasting textures of the wire wrapped handle and the decorative bars in the grip, although It looks to me that those bars also do something functional in enhancing the grip in hand and also in securing the wire wrap more than it would be as a simple wrap.

The blade crossection also looks very aesthetically pleasing to me and it's clean lines make a nice contrast with the complex handle assembly.

If I thought would couldn't get any better I was wrong: Each new project pushes the envelope of fine craftsmanship higher and higher in my opinion and you blend the art of the functional sword and " just plain " Fine Arts " into each piece.

I hope that whatever your plans to earn a living or to experience new things that you never completely give up your art and craft.

Small practical considerations like " eating and paying rent " unfortunately have to distract you from just doing what you find as your core passion.
That is fantastic! Wow. It turned out great.
Beautiful and immaculate. Love the hollow ground blade.
Outstanding work. It is a very beautiful sword. Congratulations!
Out-freakin'-standing! I love that sword Michael! Any chance we could see a better pic of the tip? It looks like there is some pretty nice detail going on with the grind of this one. I would love to get a better look...
Michael, this is a beautiful piece that clearly shows your evolution in the sword-making process. Every thing flows flawlessly and the handle has a very natural appeal.
This thread is so full of awesome. Mr. Pikula, if I lived in Wisconsin, I'd very much love to take classes from you.

Mr. Hernandez - I've seen you on YouTube before! I'd like to thank you for putting your acts of labor on the net for those of us who've not succeeded in getting ourselves to a forge yet.

:D
absolutely wonderful, if it handles a fraction of what it looks it will be a pleasure to have in your hands. Stunning job.
Mike, I absolutely love the overlay! I really feel that most collectors ignore decorative elements of swords, and focus entirely too much on austere aesthetics. Thats why I love to see swords with overlays or inlays... Just something more than plain boring steel... Of course that's JMHO...

Anyway, again this is superb. The hilt especially is phenomenal. Great job!
Hi Michael.
Fantastic sword and workmanship your work keeps getting better and better with each new piece.
Congratulations a sword fit for an King.
Beautiful workmanship Michael.

It really is a stunning piece all round and the execution of the blade is particularly flawless and must have taken a very long time.

Great effort.

Tod
Outstanding work Michael! It looks great!
Wow! What a lovely sword, Sir!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: