Question on the fuller going underneath the grip
Hi all,

I have been wondering about when the fuller goes under the crossguard and into the grip assembly on medieval swords.
Do you think this was something our ancestors would have been concerned about as it leaves open the possibility of water, blood,dirt etc.. dribbling down the fuller and into the center of the wooden grip.

Albion Tritonia from Albion's website. ( I have lightened the tang a bit to show the fuller )
I don't think they were concerned in the slightest about it, as this feature is typical for the period. The desire for tightly fit gaps is a modern obsession. It is possible that particularly large gaps could have been filled with some sort of sealant like pitch, but I haven't seen as proof that this is the case, just a speculation...
Fullers in tang
Robin is correct. They would not have worried about it at all. He is also right that on some period swords the blades where set in a mastic in the guard. I have seen some examples that seem to indicate that was the only element holding the guard in place.

Best
Craig

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: