Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wives (or husbands) and swords.... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Well, my wife prefers the sword collection rather than the gun collection. It's not that my wife is anti-gun, as she'd never be able to live with me if she were. It's just that she views the swords as works of art and historically interesting in ways that guns aren't. I sold off the bulk of my semi-auto rifle collection, and bought custom swords and she likes the swords much more.

My wife also is not a fan of guns. She doesn't want any in the house, however. Sometime I will try to convince her to let us have at least one gun. Sadly my wife isn't interested in history at all. She thinks it's boring, but she is at least SLIGHTLY interested in the medieval and renaissance periods. She mostly likes swords and the historical clothing because they're pretty. I don't mind too much though.

Looking to start HEMA!
John Newman

Reading list: 27 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:

When I buy and sell swords, I bring them in and out of the "man cave" when she is not home. I have found it just works better that way. May sound funny but after 28 years, it seems to work.......

Hilarious. I'm in the same boat. She's usually okay so long as I stay active (as if that's a problem with WMA), but that didn't stop me from sneaking my new Ensifer up to the attic before she came home yesterday! All I can hope is that they will all look the same to her after a while...

Of fight the disciplyne and exercise
Was this: To haue a pale or pile vpright
Of mannys hight, thus writeth olde and wyse
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I buy a sword my wife goes on a shopping spree
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny this should come up again, because earlier this week my wife was telling me how lucky I am that she puts up with my hobby.

William Swiger wrote:
When I buy and sell swords, I bring them in and out of the "man cave" when she is not home. I have found it just works better that way. May sound funny but after 28 years, it seems to work.......

I agree with that approach. In marriage there's a fine line between honesty and deliberately irritating someone.

I figure that as long as I'm paying the bills and balancing the monthly budget, and selling off as many sharp things as I buy, some money spent on an enjoyable hobby is well justified.
William Alexander Elder

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My soon-to-be wife was really wary about my collection when we started dating. She's got her own collection of stilettos now (and I don't mean the shoes), and helps me come up with new custom designs for future purchases.

Now if only she would stop claiming my A&A smallsword as hers. Ah, well. Community property. What's mine is hers and what's hers is also hers.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just do not have this problem.

My wife does not care about my swords, though she says she loves what i have done to display them. She knows this is a passion with me and does not begrudge the space on the walls or the space in the checking account set aside for swords

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Chris Friede

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife is happy to indulge my hobby, and prefers the swords and ARMA to my war gaming. She's picked up my fencing swords a few times and we've done some light sparring. We do go to Renfairs together, in garb..she loves sewing the costumes. She's currently looking for a dagger or bodice knife to complete the look. And she has no problem with our son spending his allowance on blades. We even stopped at Smoky Mountain Knives during our summer road trip...being able to handle the Cold Steel weapons was pretty awesome.
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to store my A&A Italian Bill in the garage because it won't fit in the house. My wife saw it recently and I told her it was a tree pruner. She wasn't buying it...
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently caught my wife fondling my Hanwei sidesword. She said it was light ,elegant, and sexy. OOO-KAAAYY. Big Grin ..,She'll probably have it strapped on her hip at the next Ren-Fest. Big Grin .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just say'n

My wife

Heh

Attachment: 43.17 KB
S3000012.JPG
My wife

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are one lucky man, David! To have a beautiful woman dressed in chainmail and holding a sword....and knowing how to use it.............you got it goin' on, bro. Big Grin .............McM
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
If I buy a sword my wife goes on a shopping spree

Oh, I do that as well. Which possibly seems a bit unfair, but one of us is mostly content with the stuff she already owns and the other is, er... not. Big Grin
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With my girlfriend, it's not so much about swords or not, but rather about saving money. Anything that promotes saving more money is desirable to her, although I'm sure she's also amenable to either of us earning more money, too. So she doesn't typically like when I buy a new sword, primarily because of the expenditure of money it represents. In regards to the actual swords themselves, she has held them, and in one case has hewed a pumpkin apart with my friend's Duke! She's not especially interested in swords at this point, but the fact that she tolerates them and can appreciate why I want to practice with them is nice.

Interestingly, her sense of medieval swords has been almost entirely shaped by the various Albion swords I've owned. Consequently, when I first received Robert Muse's Vinland, she didn't like it, because it looked "too overdecorated and too modern" in her words. I showed her images of antique Viking swords such that she was able to appreciate that the Vinland quite closely follows historical examples, yet it was interesting that she perceived "decorated" as inappropriate for authentic medieval reproductions.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife knits, that is actually a very expensive hobby which I encourage. Recently Kate took up an interest in weaving so I bought her several loomes, floor looms are like Albions in the 800 to 2000 dollar range. I might have to draw the line at buying her a Barn Loom. Its not the loom mind you. It is the barn I would have to buy to fit it in.

I could take up jousting though if I had a barn

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's funny, David. Laughing Out Loud My wife is about to buy a loom also. Laughing Out Loud I hope they both enjoy them......McM
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
That's funny, David. Laughing Out Loud My wife is about to buy a loom also. Laughing Out Loud I hope they both enjoy them......McM

People with string hobbies like knitting and weaving are crazy Eek!

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Moms and sisters are perhaps funnier (I'm single).

So, I told them about looking into signing up for HEMA training and such. My sister was mildly okay with it, thinking it aligned with my interests as a history teacher. Still, the bemused smirk on her face was telling.

My even more shocked and puzzled Mom looked at me and asked, "What in the world are you going to do with a broadsword?" I replied, "What makes you think I don't already own one?"

The look on her face was priceless.

Bob
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, David.....I can't say I disagree with you. But.....it's what she wants. Because when momma gets what she wants........heh heh.....daddy gets what he wants. Big Grin ............McM
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife has no real interest in my sharp and pointy things, but does think they're cool and likes them as decor. On the other hand, she likes the guns and even shoots in competition with me when her schedule permits. That's what I get for marrying an old farm girl.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Becker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife used to participate in stage swordplay at the local Ren fair, and has expressed interest in learning a bit of rapier. However, she is much like Craig's girlfriend in that saving money is more important, and spending money on other things (house remodeling, nursery for kids, etc) takes priority to the medieval pursuits.

Thankfully, she does recognize that it's an important part of life for me. Whenever I start getting too stressed or deprived, she'll send me out to the shed/shop for the evening. She's come to learn that I'm much easier to deal with if I've gotten my metal fix!

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that listens to counsel is wise.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wives (or husbands) and swords....
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: