Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Top 5 Absolute Best Albion Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My opinion, though this is all so subjective who knows if it's of any value. These are in no particular order.

1: The Gaddhjalt. Albion's first Next Gen sword and the one that broke the mold.
2: The Regent. The first, accurate hollow-ground sword in the production market. Sweet handling, deadly, and elegant.
3: The Sovereign. My personal favorite. So different from what was out there at the time: wide and thin and with two cleanly done fullers.
4: The Sempach: A prime example of a family of swords whose use seems fairly widespread with example found in he UK and the continent of a very specific combination of parts.
5: The Baron: An elegant cleaver of the first order.

I own all these so I speak from firsthand experience.

Here are some honorable mentions from pieces I don't own (some of them I've handled):

Munich
Castellan (I want one of these badly)
Solingen
Svante (so different than anything else in the market)

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a preference for cutting oriented swords and I don't have 5 Albions only 3 sharps "soon to be 4" but I have handled about a dozen more Albions.

This is what I own, and I choose well for my personal tastes, I think they are worth mentioning.

The Vigil
This sword handles relatively gracefully and quickly for a sword that cuts like a butchers cleaver. It's not really a common combination from what I have seen. It has a very attractive blade presence that just begs to cut something in half.
It's wide and thin so requires some practice with edge alignment. I have a very strong attraction to this sword, it's power in your hand.

The Steward.
I adore this sword although I don't think it's a preferable to many HEMA longsword techniques because the grip is too short for those fancy hilt manipulations yet this sword will cut you from shoulder to hip, it's a tad under 3 lbs and is lighting fast in the cut. Not a sword you want to be on the receiving end of. It's very fast but for a different type of sword fighting that is rarely if at all chronicled.

The Crecy
My first Albion.
I never got bored or tired of the Crecy, to me it seems like a jack of all trades sword, master of none but not weak in anything.
Great thruster, decent cutter and super fast all around. There is nothing really unappealing about it, it's just a good all around sword. You could fence with the sword and deliver scary cuts and it has an nice clean and simple but not dull appearance. What's not to like about it?

My next sword will be the Reeve, can't wait to get it.
D. Bell

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own seven Albion swords and have handled about three more. All of them are good swords but in terms of handling. for me the Oakeshott is the clear winner. The Knight, Vigil, Sovereign and Regent will round out my top five swords I have experience with.
An armed society is a polite society.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 5 Absolute Best Albion Swords         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
Pretty Simple thread, what do you think are the top 5 best Albion swords ever produced, and why?

Try to be descriptive: is the particular sword good because it cuts well, stabs well, does both well, was just ahead of its time etc etc...

Also tell us if you actually handled the sword in question, are just guessing or talk because of general knowledge.

Happy thread everybody Happy.

It's a loaded question because one might define 'best' in a number of ways, including purely personal taste, best seller, biggest impact on the professional field, aesthetics of the design, execution of the design, effectiveness in performing (handling, cutting, thrusting...within different the parameters of different styles of swordsmanship), most durable, easiest to maintain...am I missing something?

However, to my my mind 'best' means most historically accurate, so the museum line comes to mind first. According to my personal taste, St. Maurice, Tritonia, Soborg, Solingen, and upcoming Ljubljana. Of those, I own the first two.

By the historical criteria, the Vigil and Oakeshott would be next in line since they are based on historic examples but apparently not quite so close as to be included in the museum line. Of those I own the Vigil.
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Dane. It's the only sword I've ever held and though "I'd be ok on a battlefield with just this and some good armor". And I've handled period pieces.

Other than that, I love the Maximillian, the Earl, the Knecht, and the Poitiers.

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am going with handling as the criteria here (although all of these are historically credible and look good too).

I have droned on about it before, but the Regent is the finest handling sword I have ever held. My Regent is so perfectly balanced it floats but it never lacks for blade presence; it also thrusts in a perfectly too. The fishtail is not the most comfortable pommel but it make up for this in its elegance and the hollow ground blade is stunning.

The Munich is also rapidly becoming a favourite. This sword had hidden depths and its performance is quite different from what its looks would have you believe.

The Reeve is my favourite single hander. If like me you are not too keen on handling big beefy choppers but want a sword cuts like it means it and feels right in the hand then I think this is as good as it gets.

Neil.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So many different criteria for selecting the "Top 5." Depends on so many subjective values...

I'm not a fan of the Knight. It feels like a child's toy. Give me a sword that has some Ooomph! behind it.

Everyone's lists are so interesting, I'm gonna have to take a 2nd look at a few swords.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
The Brescia Spadona, the Knight, the Regent, the Oakeshott, and the Sempach.

I was shocked when I read Craig's response that his tastes were so similar to mine. 4 out of 5 is pretty darn close.

1) Sempach. I can't say enough good things about this sword. It was not my first Albion, and it took a while for the more complex blade and hilts to warm to me, but now that I've had a chance to hold more Albions, and see how they compare, I honestly can't imagine liking a bastard or two handed sword anywhere near as much as I like the Sempach. I wrote my review of it here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=29254

2) Knight. As everyone else has said, the Knight has excellent handling, but more than that, it just seems to be the quintessential example of what a single handed medieval sword should be. Before I'd even heard of the company Albion, if I closed my eyes and pictured a knightly sword, the Knight would have come to mind.

3) Regent. I've never owned or held one. I held an Earl, and was blown away by how it felt in the hand. For such a large sword, it felt agile and balanced like I wouldn't have thought possible. Although I like the cross design of the Earl slightly more than the Regent, the Regent's pommel is so incredible I can't help but be swayed to it.

4) Chevalier. (OK, not EXACTLY like Craig's list Laughing Out Loud ). I very nearly owned a Chevalier, but ended up with the Sempach instead. One day soon, I will add the Chevalier to my collection, and probably before even the Regent. At first I didn't at all care for the blade style of the Oakeshott and Chevalier, but the more interested I get in swords, the more I appreciate a little complexity in their parts. I now love the blade design, and from everything I've read, the Chevalier and Oakeshott handle like a dream. I do prefer the pommel of the Oakeshott, but the cross guard of the Chevalier is enough to push me in that direction between the two.

5) Kingmaker. This is an extremely appealing sword to me. If I could change one thing about it, I'd like a little more complex shape on the back (top?) of the cross guard...the flat part. The rest of the sword has such pleasing shapes, including the front (bottom) of the cross. If I buy one, I'll probably have someone add a slight triangular bevel to the back of the cross, just like the one on the front of the cross.

So that is my list. Let me point out that although I've seen many more Albion's in person, I'm nowhere near an expert on handling or cutting (never really done either). My opinions are based entirely on aesthetics, and how I like them when I pick them up and swing them around a little. I know it's not a scientific method, but it works for my uses. Laughing Out Loud
Magnus Rolstad Jordal

PostPosted: Tue 04 Feb, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own two Albions The Crecy and The Vinland both are very beatiful swords.

The Crecy handles like a dream. So easy to control and cut with that you wouldn't belive it if you haven't tried it yourself.
The Vinland takes a little bit more training to use and get a good cut with but when used right man this sword is a monster!

I have not handled any other Albion swords (sadly not many sword collectors in Norway where I live....) so I have to go with that these is the best Albion swords.
The Crecy is a superb easy to control sword that cut and trusht very good Happy
The Vinland is a MONSTER cutter Happy
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Tue 04 Feb, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't own an Albion. If I were to order one today it would be the Caithness. I did not see that one mentioned..... I looked at all the other models as I read the posts. In spite of all the information, I'm still a victim of my tastes. But I should not be making this post anyway, since I cannot contribute an opinion to the original post intent. But I can appreciate the input from those who have owned and handled them.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 04 Feb, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Ballantyne wrote:
I don't own an Albion. If I were to order one today it would be the Caithness. I did not see that one mentioned..... I looked at all the other models as I read the posts. In spite of all the information, I'm still a victim of my tastes. But I should not be making this post anyway, since I cannot contribute an opinion to the original post intent. But I can appreciate the input from those who have owned and handled them.

Greg, I've owned the Laird and Knight, and although there are subtle differences, they felt quite similar as well. And that is not a bad thing, I really like the way they feel, and I think you'll find very little criticism on their handling.

The Caithness does have a really nice look to it. I've often been tempted by it myself. I think the Knight gets more attention and mention than it's siblings, because it seems to fit a broader spectrum of historical interest. But going purely off aesthetics, I think both the Laird and Caithness are beautiful weapons. I'll probably get flogged for saying this, but I wish that the hilt furniture of the Laird and Caithness could be put on a Type XVI or XVIII blade. After owning and handling more Albions, I'm finding that I prefer the later blade styles to the earlier ones. An XVIII blade like the Kingmaker or Burgundian with the hilt furniture of the Laird would be my dream sword.
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of Albions I've had experience handling or owning:

1. Squir
e--Longer, wider, ridged, tapered and meaner than that other oft-lauded single hander; it's only called Squire because "Knight" was already taken. This is THE single handed sword for me.
2. Crecy--Does just about everything pretty well, nothing poorly.
3. Yeoman--The most power and agility per pound of any Albion I've handled; it's a lot stuffed into a small package. Eager for a fight.
4. Cluny--Beautiful, sure, but also singularly suited to its purpose like few swords I've seen. You want to duel someone, this is the tool incarnate.
5. Sovereign--It's downright regal, one of the coolest-looking swords out there, makes your spine straighten when you feel its weight in your hand and at your side. Share's many of the great qualities of the Yeoman, but is a little less willing to get its hands dirty.

Of the full lineup, based on reviews, discussion, and rampant speculation:

1. Brescia Spadona--My favorite type of sword, recreated painstakingly from probably the finest example of the type.
2. Vigil--I saw the historical sword several years ago and haven't stopped thinking about it since. It stays in your bones.
3. Earl--Gorgeous and cohesive design, with that game-changing hollow-ground blade.
4. Alexandria--The closest I'll come to owning Peter's Vorpal sword.
5. Too tough to call. Any sword from my first list could go here, but also the Doge, the Oakeshott, the Munich, the Valkyrja, Tiberius, Viceroy, etc.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
I would also like to leave it out in the open that i firmly believe, despite not having handled it, that the Principe is inferior to the Alexandria, i will go more in-dept on this subject when i will release a full review on it.

Link to that Alexandria Mini-Review: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=29460

Hi Hector

Any update on your review?

Cheers - Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Hector A.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have done all the testing for the Alexandria, waiting on a friends Principe to do all the same testing with it, i don't wont to go off the top of my head and decided to make sure.

Some testing i did: Cutting pig
Rolled up news papers
Cuir Bouili protected pig
mail protected pig
plate protected pig
(havnt got a gambison or i would have tested that also...)
I Thrusted all the above as well.

The point on these blades is very weak, be warned, just the pigs bones was enough to damage it, it did very well vs mail however, vs plate it got literally destroyed. ( i repaired it in between tests the best i could).

Just as a teaser i stuck the plate from above with all my strength and it got 4 cm's penetration.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool, sounds like you have gone a bit beyond the normal testing we see, you friend may be a bit nerves about lending you his Principe Wink
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Hector A.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:
Cool, sounds like you have gone a bit beyond the normal testing we see, you friend may be a bit nerves about lending you his Principe Wink

I told him what would happen to the point, he doesn't mind, he needs somebody to "break in" his sword or he wont be able to enjoy it.
Some people end up not enjoying there Albions because they come so pristine and beautiful they are incapable of using it as it is suppose to and many want to! I have a different philosophy, as soon as i get one i swing it as hard as possible at the first wood target i see, it gets a scratch, some get a dent... whatever, now its a weapon not a piece of art Big Grin.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
The Caithness does have a really nice look to it. I've often been tempted by it myself. I think the Knight gets more attention and mention than it's siblings, because it seems to fit a broader spectrum of historical interest. But going purely off aesthetics, I think both the Laird and Caithness are beautiful weapons. I'll probably get flogged for saying this, but I wish that the hilt furniture of the Laird and Caithness could be put on a Type XVI or XVIII blade. After owning and handling more Albions, I'm finding that I prefer the later blade styles to the earlier ones. An XVIII blade like the Kingmaker or Burgundian with the hilt furniture of the Laird would be my dream sword.

That's interesting because I'd also thought of having the hilt parts of my Caithness remounted on a slightly later dating blade - an XVI or XIII. More likely the latter since graveslabs showing this type of sword seem to depict wide cutting blades - seems to fit with the highland style of fighting. This hilt type runs 13th-15th century so a type XII is a on the early end of things. The other factor for me is that the large pommel seems a bit overweighted for the blade, although one can't imagine Albion would get the harmonics wrong. I even went as far as talking to a couple of smiths about this (swordsmiths that is!), but ultimately it seemed too much of a shame to dismantle such a nice sword.

Nevertheless, I think its beautiful and a must-have for those of us with ancestors from the Western Highlands. The only reason I didn't put it in my top 5 above was that I wanted to stick with one consistent criterion.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Condottiere -

I don't know why I didn't include this one in my list earlier in this thread. It's a wonderful model. And, like all the Albion XIX's, an often overlooked one. I don't think many have bought it - perhaps they don't care for the single finger ring, or are leery of the type.

But the Condottiere is a joy to wield. It's very light and friendly in your hand, very quick, and it goes precisely where you want it to. I haven't cut with it, but I expect that, like most XIX's, it has a fairly narrow sweet spot, and will buzz your hand it you hit slightly above or below it.

I also, love the detailing on the ricasso, very hard to get right, and Albion nails it.

Attachment: 98.81 KB
condottm2s.jpg
My Albion Condottiere
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
The Condottiere -

I don't know why I didn't include this one in my list earlier in this thread. It's a wonderful model. And, like all the Albion XIX's, an often overlooked one. I don't think many have bought it - perhaps they don't care for the single finger ring, or are leery of the type.

But the Condottiere is a joy to wield. It's very light and friendly in your hand, very quick, and it goes precisely where you want it to. I haven't cut with it, but I expect that, like most XIX's, it has a fairly narrow sweet spot, and will buzz your hand it you hit slightly above or below it.

I also, love the detailing on the ricasso, very hard to get right, and Albion nails it.

Your photo makes me more interested in the model. I owned an Albion Machiavelli and found it to be stellar. I regret selling it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have very limited Albion experience, I own a Fiore, and I've cut tatami with a Brescia, a Crecy, and a Duke. So this is basically a wish list based on reading.

1) the Munich, blade geometry and hilt set up, both the furniture and grip length

2) the Dane, size and that ricasso.

3) the Castellan, handiness, and pommel

4) the Earl, recurved cross, hollow ground

5) the Maximilion, YEAH!

I'm also eager to see the Markgraf when it comes out. Looks like it will be a stunner.

I come into this through HEMA, and the single handers, Viking blades, and Roman era just don't hold an appeal to me. I'm studying Montante right now, and really want someone to offer a 70" sword with about 16" of hilt.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Top 5 Absolute Best Albion Swords
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: