Burgundian Armor
Hello All!

For my first post, I'm looking for some research direction. Any suggestions on where I can find some examples of burgundian armor? I realize there are few good examples (as opposed to Milanese or German), but I am not sure where to start looking.

I have looked through this thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...burgundian

And the Osprey Men-at-Arms book: Armies of Medieval Burgundy (which is a bit old).

Thanks in advance!
Welcome!

A couple of options would be to look at Gerry Embleton's books, as they often show depictions of living history practitioners which are captioned as being representative of Burgundian dress and armour. If you hunt around on the web, you should also find back issues of The Dragon, the 'zine of the Company of Saint George, where Gerry and others documented various differences in armour over times and regions.

Both of these leads are interpretive (although some pieces in The Dragon will be sketches of original pieces), and both are now a little old, and interpretations/research may have changed. So I'm not sure if these will give you a lot, but they might be a starting point.

Good luck in the search, and please let us know what you find!
Don't forget that a lot of the armour in Swiss museums was originally plunder from the Burgundian defeats at Grandson, Murten and Nancy. You should be able to get a very good idea of the look, also see the Flemish painters and tapestries from the period.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: