Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille arrives from Wholesalearmor.com Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting idea Jeff.

Do you just lay the maille on the grill or do you put in it some kind of container?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,
I just noticed the updates to the home page. Three swords and a crossbow all at once? Somebody is certainly having a good month. Big Grin I'm sure they'll go well with your new maile. Congratulations!

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Patrick,
I just noticed the updates to the home page. Three swords and a crossbow all at once? Somebody is certainly having a good month. Big Grin I'm sure they'll go well with your new maile. Congratulations!

All three of those swords were acquired last year, and the crossbow is almost twelve years old. They're just recent updates to my collection. So there's nothing to really get excited about. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Look at this...         Reply with quote

This looks like Celtic/Roman style mail isn't it?
flat (punched) rings in combination with round riveted ones... (As I' have bin told Wink )

http://www.ancient-weapons.com/products/chainmails.html
Any body familiar with these guys??

I have send them an "enquiry" already let's see with what kind of price they come up with...

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
D. Hetzel

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I have read Celtic mail was different than Roman. Celtic had both round riveted rings and round solid rings. The Roman mail had partially flat rings of both kinds. They both had round rivets.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Look at this...         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
This looks like Celtic/Roman style mail isn't it?
flat (punched) rings in combination with round riveted ones... (As I' have bin told Wink )

http://www.ancient-weapons.com/products/chainmails.html
Any body familiar with these guys??

I have send them an "enquiry" already let's see with what kind of price they come up with...

I hope you share with us whatever information they send you, especially the price Wink

Alexi
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jan, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm tempted to get one of these hauberks and paint it. Idea
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Following Patrick's experiences with his mail shirt I thought that I would have a go at modifying my new riveted shirt, which I believe, comes from Russia. I got it at a re-enactment fair yesterday -- although I ordered it some months ago. It is plain steel and shiny but covered in oil. I tried it on at the fair and my hair and clothing that wasn't protected by a borrowed gambeson became covered in oil. I wanted to remove the oil and to darken the mail. I had read references to mail being rolled in charcoal. I though that I might be able to remove the oild and colour the mail at the same time, so, today, I started up the old barbecue. It is 1 degree here today so barbecues are not usual at this time of year. It was difficult to get the charcoal alight because of the outside temperature but after much puffing and blowing I managed it. Once the mail was on the charcoal it did smell very badly but that was about it. After half an hour a few patches of mail had gone a slight brown colour but most of it was as shiny as ever!

I laid the thing on some hard standing and used a hard brush and some saw dust which was quite successful in removing the oil. But I have to say that my experiment with the charcoal was not a success.

Cheers,

Paul
Chris Post

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Important!         Reply with quote

Of course a price of $300 for a full rivetted hauberk looks very tempting. Still I would think long and hard before buying one.
Mind the following: maille that cheap is from India or another low-cost country, that's not a secret. What many seem to be unaware of, is that they are most likely to be produced by child labour. I have talked to various Indian manufacturers (Deepeeka, Hind, Indian Handicrafts), and if you harrass them long enough, they admit that "some work is too fine to be done by the hands of adults", or something along those lines.

I know for sure that 99% of all Indian butted chainmail are child labour for a few nickles a day, and I would rather be surprised if the same did not apply for rivetted chainmail. I think I don't have to elaborate why I would not want such a set of maille.
Thank you for your attention.

Skeppsmannens härsmakt räddes ej väta:
blodulvar vadade väst över Panta:
fram över flodens glimmande vatten
buro de lindesköldar i land.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A contrasting point of view is very well possible. IMO that discussion does not belong here, so I'll shut up.

(I did feel like mentioning it, sorry.)
James Anderson III

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very very necropost on this, but I wanted to post a bit of a warning to anybody else reading this (it's one of the first google hits I got even though it's 7 years old):

Muriatic acid is nasty, nasty stuff (which Patrick Kelly covered - but it bears repeating).

I tried it on one of my IceFalcon stainless steel voiders. I knew I should have tried a test patch, and fought my instinct on doing that. Bad idea.

It *ruined* my voiders. Some of it came bright and clean (which is great), some is still dark, and some is in-between. Oh, and it ate about 75% of the rivets. Literally. When I picked it up out of the acid and rinsed it off, rivets fell all over. They're almost all gone.

I'll end up spending probably a solid 8 to 10 hours replacing all the rivets that fell out. And I'll still be left with an uneven tone.

Andre @ IceFalcon recommended that I get a small concrete mixer, and put the mail in there with some sand. I think this is definitely the better alternative. This is the biggest armor disaster I've had.

Lesson learned, absolutely, and I wanted to post this to let others know - test a small patch first! And respect the acid. It is every bit the nasty stuff that Patrick described. IMO, it's easily worth the extra cost to get a small mixer - no worries of acid fumes, disposing of the acid after, and you won't have to wear goggles, gloves, a mask, and other protective gear.

edit: some photos

Before cleaning:

Comparing the acid-soaked one with the one I didn't mess with:

Rough close-ups of the final outcome:

Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maille arrives from Wholesalearmor.com
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: